New Activity In The County

Bill was relief pumping for his brother this morning and came back by the Scharlach's ranch (about 10 miles SW of C City, east of Hwy 163) and there were several pieces of heavy dirt working equipment inside their gate so maybe their location will be built soon.

My niece Nat who has leased her property N of I-20 around Morgan Creek (formerly Clay Mann Smith Ranch) to The Devonites, had a call several days ago telling her they would stake a well on her in about a month but don't plan to drill until next summer.

Nice that the activity is expanding..

How far west is Morgan Creek and the former Smith ranch? Glad to hear of things happening north of 1-20!

3 - 4 miles west of Colorado City

Does anyone know how they choose which sites are among the first?

Received a letter today from Dawson Geophysical wanting to conduct 3D Seismic on us.

Does anyone know what the going rate is for that? They offer $15/ac.

Thanks, Toni

Hi Toni. Hope all is well in Mitchell Co. The weather radar here in Waco looked like y'all might have gotten a little rain earlier today?? Hope so. I'm sorry I don't know about the rates for seismic tests. Maybe someone else will know. I have been wondering about your niece's place N. of I 20 and near Morgan Creek. My wife's family has a place on 1229 about 2 miles N. of I 20 which we leased to Devon earlier this year. I think her place may be pretty close to us. Sure hope so! I think our place is Block 26 Section 27. Do you know her block and section?

Toni Everett said:

Received a letter today from Dawson Geophysical wanting to conduct 3D Seismic on us.

Thanks, Toni

Don, We got a nice rain about daybreak, nearly an inch here, more to the NW and NE part of the county. The 5 in. we had a couple of weeks ago has resulted in pretty wheat fields and good winter weeds for grazing, and gave us a little stock tank water. The rain today helped so much more.

I found FM 1229 on my map and can follow it northward. Is it possible you are Block 27? Either Sec. 26 or 27?

Devon told Nat they plan to drill in her SE/4 Sec 28 and the horizontal fingerling (i don't know the real terminology) will extend southward into the E/2 Sec 33. She's Block 27.

I hope that's right by you! Toni

Toni, you are right. We are in Block 27, Sec. 26. For some reason, I always get that wrong and have to look at a map to get it straight. Glad to hear about the rain! Hope it made it out our way, although we already looked a lot better than this time last year - thanks to that rain a while back. We had a good one here north of Waco at that same time, but it has pretty well all dried up now. I will pull up a map and see where your niece's place is relative to ours. Sure good to see all that activity in good old Mitchell Co.! Don

Toni Everett said:

Don, We got a nice rain about daybreak, nearly an inch here, more to the NW and NE part of the county. The 5 in. we had a couple of weeks ago has resulted in pretty wheat fields and good winter weeds for grazing, and gave us a little stock tank water. The rain today helped so much more.

I found FM 1229 on my map and can follow it northward. Is it possible you are Block 27? Either Sec. 26 or 27?

Devon told Nat they plan to drill in her SE/4 Sec 28 and the horizontal fingerling (i don't know the real terminology) will extend southward into the E/2 Sec 33. She's Block 27.

I hope that's right by you! Toni

Haven't the oil companies done years of seismic investigations already?

Toni Everett said:

Thanks, Toni

Any current info about the Webb place or any other drilling in Mitchell/Nolan Counties?

diana, the last seismic was done in this part of the world in the early 80's. the old seismic was not very accurate and only 2d represented on a paper graph. the new 3d seismic is digital and very accurate as far as estimating density, permeability, and even porosity to some extent. the computer generated 3d models are beautiful and can be manipulated like a cat scan where you can isolate slices and rotate them, etc. some of the old seismic was off 1500ft when correlated to logs run on some of the test wells around here in the late 80's.

the webb and mayse well seem to have good shows or i don't think they would be building frac pits and spend the additional 1+million to frac. will be interesting to see what unfolds over the next 2 months.

bill everett

Diana Taylor Laws said:

Haven't the oil companies done years of seismic investigations already?

Toni Everett said:

Thanks, Toni

Is most of your property in the western part of the county or do u have several parcels of land?

If you drew a line from NE of Lake Champagne (really lake champion, or tank champion now, because it it so low) to S of Lake Champion, that would be us. (Keep in mind it's not a great big area). If you divided the county into quadrants, we are in the SW corner of the NE quadrant. It is mostly contiguous acreage if it's connected with my two brothers.

I believe that one of our sections is in Champion. Did we ascertain that is in the same neck of the woods (or lack of woods!)?

OK Diana, I am thinking you need to come for an onsite visit...a Tour With T-Lo (that's me)

It is confusing because there is Lake Champion, and there is Champion Community, which has a little church and an old rock store, which has been converted to a house. I think Champion Community is far enough east to be Nolan County, can't remember exactly where Mitchell Co turns to Nolan Co.

You are between Lake Champion and the Champion Community, I think about mid way. And you are right, no woods, except for mesquite and a few hackberries.

Diana Taylor Laws said:

I believe that one of our sections is in Champion. Did we ascertain that is in the same neck of the woods (or lack of woods!)?

You are absolutely right; i need to come out there! That would be so nice of you to "conduct" our tour. I would be coming with my cousin, who was raised in C. City and lived much of her adult life in Sweetwater. She might remember exactly how to get to the farms, but maybe not! Our Sec 73 actually borders Mitchell and Nolan. I was planning on coming out there once (and IF) there's any "action" on one of our farms. As you know, the min. rights we share with J.L. Davis STILL remain unleased, so I have no way of predicting when (and IF) there will be any "action" there.

Toni Everett said:

OK Diana, I am thinking you need to come for an onsite visit...a Tour With T-Lo (that's me)

It is confusing because there is Lake Champion, and there is Champion Community, which has a little church and an old rock store, which has been converted to a house. I think Champion Community is far enough east to be Nolan County, can't remember exactly where Mitchell Co turns to Nolan Co.

You are between Lake Champion and the Champion Community, I think about mid way. And you are right, no woods, except for mesquite and a few hackberries.

Diana Taylor Laws said:

Alright then, we will plan on it!

Diana Taylor Laws said:

You are absolutely right; i need to come out there! That would be so nice of you to "conduct" our tour. I would be coming with my cousin, who was raised in C. City and lived much of her adult life in Sweetwater. She might remember exactly how to get to the farms, but maybe not! Our Sec 73 actually borders Mitchell and Nolan. I was planning on coming out there once (and IF) there's any "action" on one of our farms. As you know, the min. rights we share with J.L. Davis STILL remain unleased, so I have no way of predicting when (and IF) there will be any "action" there.

Toni Everett said:

Diana Taylor Laws said:

My cousin and I are planning to come out to Loraine sometime in November. Which hotel or motel is pretty okay in the area? Thanks y'all for your help.

Western Suites. Unless you want to contact Champion Ranch or PAX 96 Ranch, they might make you a Bed & Breakfast deal. Several extended members of my family stayed at Champion Ranch one weekend and it was GREAT! They are both maybe 10 miles out of town, really beautiful area. Probably depends if they have hunters when you decide to come.

I can get contact info for you if any of those sound good.

Toni Everett said:

Western Suites. Unless you want to contact Champion Ranch or PAX 96 Ranch, they might make you a Bed & Breakfast deal. Several extended members of my family stayed at Champion Ranch one weekend and it was GREAT! They are both maybe 10 miles out of town, really beautiful area. Probably depends if they have hunters when you decide to come.