Needing help with terminology

Can anyone tell me in a legal description of a tract of land what these terms vrs, NBL, WBL, and BBL represent? For example: 866.6 vrs with the NBL of a sec number, or: .1043 vrs with the WBL, and then 866.6 vrs with the BBL? I thought the NBL might mean North Boundary line of the Sec. and WBL the West Boundary line, but the BBL ??? I could be wrong on all of it.

1 Like

Many tracts have metes and bounds descriptions with a starting point and then moving a specified distance in a particular direction. At a guess, without seeing the entire description, vrs means varas. A Texas vara is 33.3 inches.

1 Like

Thank you for that explanation. Do you have an answer for NBL, WBL, or BBL

You would have to interpret based on the total language of the description, rather than portions. You should look at prior deeds to make sure that there has not been a change in the language by abbreviating more fully written words. If your interpretation is correct about “north boundary line”, then perhaps the BBL is a typing error where it should be EBL or SBL. And are all the boundaries relating to section lines, or some relating to an adjacent tract or farm?

1 Like

@Judy_Cambern, as @TennisDaze notes, I think you are on the right track. NBL & WBL are standard surveyor abbreviations for North Boundary Line and West Boundary Line. My guess would also be that the BBL is supposed to be EBL, or SBL but that it is a typo or transcription error. I always find it helpful to draw it out on a map of the area, and then the lines and landmarks often make more sense.

2 Likes

Thank you, PeteR. The copy sent to me was very poor and what you replied about being an E instead of B makes perfect sense. I believe that makes it possible for me to sketch out.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.