Need to find out what we have

I am trying to find out about my family’s mineral rights that are in the Cheney Ranch area. I am supposed to distribute them in a trust, and I have very little paperwork to work with. How do I find out what we’ve got, and if any of it has already been distributed? Thanks, Also, if we sell these outright, who would be the best company to sell them to?

Hi BobL. To find out the property that your family might own, I suggest that you contact a landman who can run title searches for you. A landman is a professional who knows how and has access to both online and hard copy records at the recorders’ offices to locate ownership records. Once you have found the title documents then you’ll need ensure that the property is actually titled in the trustee of the trust’s name. If it is not, then title curative work is likely going to be necessary. Unfortunately, that likely means a lawyer. Good news is that there are ways of correcting title, even when the title has been inaccurate for years.
A landman might also be able to help locate oil companies in the area who might be interested in leasing or purchasing your mineral interests. If they are producing, there are companies such as Peregrine Energy Partners who purchase such producing minerals. I wish you well in your endeavor. Jean M. Pledger, Esq.

1 Like