Natural Gas Compressor Noise Concern

Hello,

I was hoping someone could help me with a question. My wife and I are considering purchasing a property in an area where there is quite a bit of oil and gas activity.

We think the sellers are willing to convey some mineral rights and surface control. However, we are concerns of one of the wells being drilled nearby having a compressor put on it that would be relatively close to our house.

When a compressor is put on a well is there any way to tell how long it will be there? Do they typically put them on wells that are 1st drilled when the gas production is the highest and then remove them a few years later? Or, do they typically put them on after the production falls and they stay on for much longer periods of time?

If the answer is that they are transient, we would be less concerned. If they are likely to stay on for 10's of years, then we might pass this place over and try to find something in more of a dead area.

We are just concerned about the engine noise, 24/7.

Thanks,

John

Compressors are used to increase the flowing pressure of the gas to enable it to enter the pipeline. There are some things that can be done for noise abatement, but once a compressor goes on, it stays on until the end of the well's life.

John:

Most of the gas wells in my area have some type of enclosure around the compressor which muffles the majority of the noise. Sometimes this action is taken by the operator when complaints are recieved by individuals living near the facility. As Mr. Cotten stated, these compressors are on location for the life of the well. In some cases, the noise is worse when larger compressors are utilized.

Thanks for the replies. So, basically as long as the well has enough pressure to push gas into the pipeline, they don't have one installed. Once the pressure falls off, they put one on to keep flow to the pipeline?

So, does that mean that all gas wells (or oil wells producing sufficient gas) will get one sooner or later?

This is an Austin Chalk well field that is in the area.

John, special mufflers can be used on the compressors. There are typically three types standard grade, residential grade and hospital grade mufflers and they are used depending on the noise levels.

You can ask that the compressor station operator do a noise test from the location of the home to see if it is going to be an issue, then you can even confirm the noise levels through your own testing. There are city and county ordinancs in certain areas that apply to noise levels so you might check there too.

Good luck!

Hi, John !

Wish I had better news, but the compressors are very loud and create a booming noise when the wind shifts. Also, stadium lights are used here in OK. From a half a mile away, they light up my son's yard. We tried to work with the pipeline company, but they were not interested in spending "any" money at all. Rural areas have no clout and they have no rights in an oil state. If you don't like what the oil patch is doing, they will gladly let you move.

Jan

All, I very much appreciate the replies. The compressors we would be dealing with are just 1 on a well site, it would not be a station with multiple ones.

Does anybody have any idea what sort of radius they can affect? If you were say, 0.5mi away (no trees - open pasture) would you still be affected?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone could provide.

Thanks,

John

Hi, John !

The main considerations are booster and muffler size/type, distance from site, direction motors are pointed and wind direction.

You can ask about booster size and planned muffler type. I have been told by OneOK that there are 3 muffler types. The hospital type is the quietest.

Distance from site-sound carries for miles. With the right wind direction I can hear the boosters over in the hills 5 miles away. Good news, the wind is right only a few days a year. Quite tollerable.

Direction of motors-If the motors are pointed directly at your house, you're going to hear a deep drone all the time, for many miles. Ask what direction the mufflers will be pointed.

Wind direction-become knowledgeable about the local winds around your location. If the booster site is located downwind from you in summer and winter, no problem. If not, you will hear a deep engine noise day and night.

Here in OK noise polution is not recognized. Oil & pipeline companies can buy land, put in an unbearably loud plant directly across the road from your house and basically destroy the value of your property. (This was done to our neighbor. He fought it for 20 years and lost.) Check with your state Corporation Commission and find out what your rights are, what laws are in effect and what precidence has been set in your area.

Jan

John Randerman said:

All, I very much appreciate the replies. The compressors we would be dealing with are just 1 on a well site, it would not be a station with multiple ones.

Does anybody have any idea what sort of radius they can affect? If you were say, 0.5mi away (no trees - open pasture) would you still be affected?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone could provide.

Thanks,

John

All, thank you very much for the information. I have a much better understanding now.

John

John,

I think one thing it depends on is the drilling company. I have a friend who had 6 wells (gas) drilled in his yard, not 100 feet from his house by Chesapeake. They put up sound proofing walls and it was so quiet he didn't even know they were drilling most of the time. Could you ask the drillers about that sound proof wall? I think it would help you a lot. Maybe they could put it around the pump as well. The wall was about 10-12 feet high. : )

Wes