Naming of wells

Does anyone know who decides on a name and/or why a well is named, besides the obvious last name of an owner, but which owner?

it depends upon the operator. Some of them name the wells after the surface owner. Some name them after any number of creative themes. No particular requirements. The API number is the important thing. That is the unique identifier number assigned by the American Petroleum Institute that is attached to every well.

2 Likes

Thank you. I was curious as a new well has been named Leona Faye which is my Mother’s name.

In the early 90’s when the first vertical well was drilled on section 10, they gave the well my last name. I asked Anadarko why they had named it my last name and they said because I own the largest NMA. I don’t have that much but I guess that each portion gets smaller and smaller as the minerals are passed down and divided up among siblings.

There are a plethora of reasons for naming wells. One commonly used is for the name of the land owner where the well location is. It is strictly left up to the operator.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.