Name change on deed in Leon County

I inherited some mineral rights from my grandmother about 18 years ago but only found out about it recently because I was contacted about a potential lease. It was hard for them to find me because the name on the deed was the last name of my husband at the time (even though I kept my name and never changed it to his). I called the Leon County Clerk’s office in Texas how I would go about changing the name or if there was a form I needed to fill out. They were so rude, which totally surprised me. I was very polite in asking the question too! The lady said they did not provide legal advice, which I wasn’t asking for. She said that they did not have a form and that I needed to hire an attorney to do that for me. Is this true? I cannot imagine that would be the case. I certainly understand proof of identity etc. I am going to order a certified copy of my divorce decree in case that is on any use. Any suggestions? Maybe I called when someone was having a bad day?

The person you spoke was entirely accurate. The county clerk’s office records legal documents in the records. They cannot provide legal forms or give you legal advice. There is a Texas statute prohibiting the practice of law without a license. Based on your post about the recorded deed in your married name, you should be able to file an affidavit regarding your identity. Be sure to include an address for contact.

2 Likes

Thank you for the information. I absolutely understand not providing legal advice at the clerk’s office. However, if someone could have said what was needed to change the name, an affidavit in this case, I would have understood that. To me, that is not legal advice. But, it is clear that I should consult an attorney. I will do that.

In Oklahoma an affidavit providing the name and address change and the reason for the name change along with the legal description is a method of updating the information.

This post is not legal, tax or investment advice. Reading or responding to this post does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Thank you. That makes sense to me. I will start with that and see if it is acceptable to the County Clerk.

The county clerk will simply record the notarized affidavit. They will not providing any comment or opinion on its effectiveness as a legal document. This is true for all recorded documents.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.