My mother passed away and I'm trying to find out about a lease?

I know her parcel or parcels had a lease agreement but I'm not sure if it's still in affect and I'm not sure really what I should be trying to find out or where to start.

It's in Kings County California

I think it's 28 acres

I have no idea what this stuff means but this is what I have:

Township 2450, Range 21 East, Section 4, East Parejo Prospect #46

Fuller Oil Co.

If anyone could point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.


Hi Lori:

The Department of Conservation's Division of Oil, Gas and Geothermal Resources ("DOGGR") has information online to help you start. The description you have is a bit off. Townships are two digits with either a S or N, for north or south. Kings County would be South. Assuming that it is Section 4, Township 24 South, Range 21 East, there is no production on that property according to DOGGR. In addition, Fuller Oil Co. is not a listed operator (but leases are often transferred so that fact alone would not determine if the lease was still valid).

Leases terminate when no production has occurred. You can also conduct a search on the Kings County Recorders' office for the name of your mother to see if you can find a quitclaim (document that would give the lease back to your mother), or some other indication that the lease was terminated.

Hope this helps!

Jean M. Pledger