My land appraisel went up 900% this year

The tax bill I have here show taxes due on mineral rights. But the Pecos assesor site shows real property…Land… It used to be AG but this year they changed it to Land Non-Homesite Value. The appraised values for the last 6 years have been about $600 on the 3 parcels. This year the appraised value is about $10000. Has anyone in Pecos seen this.

You don’t have to automatically accept the assessed value. You can call them up and tell them you don’t agree with it and complain. A lot of times, they will lower it. They do the same with houses and if you don’t call them, then it stays that way. They probably figure most people won’t say anything and can get away with high appraisals, which means more tax money for them.

1 Like

The increase in taxable value is due to change from surface with an agriculture exemption to fully taxable status. Review your prior tax statements to see the full valuation vs. the Ag-exempt value. You or prior owner must have applied for and been granted an ag-exemption for cattle or or grazing lease or wildlife management. Did you get a notice to re-apply? Counties periodically send out notice to re-apply because the use for grazing changes. Reeves county sent notices several years ago which required detail about grazing or other qualified use.

Thanks. I see it used to be AG. I did not recieve any notice but I will reapply.