My father died, how do I transfer the mineral rights?

My father recently passed away. He owned mineral rights in Caddo County, OK. I have his death certificate and his will. When I called the county clerk they said that I need to hire a lawyer. That they will not even advise me on how to transfer the rights, a lawyer needs to do everything. Do I have to hire a lawyer to transfer the mineral rights to my name? If so, what kind of lawyer?

Thank you.

Sorry for your loss.

If the minerals are producing royalties, contact the company and ask what they require to put the minerals into “pay status”. Some companies will accept an affidavit of heirship and may even provide a form. However, most companies will say a probate is needed. Often estates qualify for a summary process which can be concluded in 50-60 days from the date of filing.

Much will depend upon the current or expected value of the mineral rights.

This post is not legal, investment or tax advice, it is for discussion purposes only. Reading or responding to this post does not create an attorney-client relationship.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.