MT Law that reverts mineral rights back to the landowner?

Awhile back, they discussed and tried to pass a law in Montana in which mineral rights could revert back to the surface rights owner under certain circumstances. Does anyone know the facts of this law and whether it passed? How could it affect my family members that own a portion of mineral rights on land in Carter County? If it affects us, what action would we need to take?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. THANKS

Timothy,

Montana does not have that law. Nor does Montana have a property tax on mineral interests. So no action is required on your part to retain them. At present, not much is happening in Carter County yet hopefully it will pick up some day. Just make sure you or your family members have a valid address on file at the courthouse in Ekalaka. Since you are out of state you will want all interested parties to be able to find you.

(It is North Dakota which has this law allowing a surface owner to attempt to claim "abandoned" minerals.)

Thanks so much for verifying what I already suspected. I had researched the dormant mineral interests act but

could find no evidence that it had been adopted by Montana.

Thanks again.

Eastern MT said:

Timothy,

Montana does not have that law. Nor does Montana have a property tax on mineral interests. So no action is required on your part to retain them. At present, not much is happening in Carter County yet hopefully it will pick up some day. Just make sure you or your family members have a valid address on file at the courthouse in Ekalaka. Since you are out of state you will want all interested parties to be able to find you.

(It is North Dakota which has this law allowing a surface owner to attempt to claim "abandoned" minerals.)