More wells for same rig

I have received notices from both S20-R04W-T01S and S21 from the respective drillers that they are going additional wells from their respective rigs. In S20 Cheyenne plan to do 3 wells from their rig (at the same location) and Camino said 1 or more.

I generally understand what that means but specifically;

1. Both are still producing oil and gas from the first well from those rigs. Does that mean they are going to stop producing from those and drill new ones?

2. Neither of the notices state when they plan on actually drilling. Will that be a few months or a year or 2 from now?

Rigs move all over. The original wells have completion equipment on top of them, not a rig. They will continue to produce until they are no longer economic to do so.

If you go to case 202101485 you can find the geologic exhibits which shows the well paths and names. https://imaging.occ.ok.gov/imaging/OAP.aspx?casenum=202101903&casetype=CD

if you go to the OCC well site, you can type in 1701S04W and see where the wells have been spud.

If you go to the OTC site and type in 20 01S 04W in the location you can find one of the wells is already online. Skeet 17-20. The others will follow shortly.

Look up the case numbers that you have received. They will have exhibits closer to the hearing date.
Generally, they will be drilled within a year or so. Permits are usually for a year, but I have seen a few for 18 months.

The producing wells will continue to produce. These are wells in addition to the ones currently producing, maybe in different zones. What you see are surface locations which are not always bottom hole locations. Generally the commission grants 1 year to drill additional wells. FYI, legal descriptions in Oklahoma list section, township, range. In that order.

So the first horizontal well drilled by a rig at the assigned top elevation location will be left alone as long it was economically justified. And the rig will be moved to a different location. Then when the well is not longer justifiable the rig will come back to that original location and drill another well at a different location or elevation, right?

I thought that rig could drill more than 1 well as an existing one continually produced. So it’s 1 well at a time for a given section (or 2 sections for my Cheyenne NMR lease).

Typcally, the new drilling does not have to wait until the first well declines too far. For horizontal locations, the new surface locations can be from the same pad but a designated distance away from the first well location or may be from a completely different surface location. They usually line up the well paths like cigars. In an increased density case where they plan to drill more than one child well, they will drill the wells back to back and then frac them all at the same time. The exhibits will show the needed information.

Hello, have you heard any information on stephens co, section 17 1N 5W (well proposal includes section 5)?

No new information on section 17. The pending well with 5 & 8 should have an order soon. Quite a bit of infill drilling pending in 35, 34, 32, 30, 29, 27, 19, 18. 13, 8, 7, 6, 5. Time will tell.

I have been told by a Landman that the hearing for the application of relief for additional horizontal wells was cancelled due to protest by certain respondents listed in the application. Based on that, there are no plans for additional wells in 2022.

My questions are;

1. Why would someone protest against a horizontal well in their NMAs?
  2. Is this a common practice?
  3. Can I find out who is protesting it?

1.) Sometimes a “protest” is not really a protest. Often, other WI owners will file a protest to get the operating moving a bit faster, sometimes to just get all the documents that are filed in the hearings. More of a formality. Sometimes, someone else wants to be operator.

1. yes

2. look up the case number on the OAP website and you can see copies in the exhibits. https://imaging.occ.ok.gov/imaging/OAP.aspx

The original Case CD #202102388, dated 11/03/2021, requests for multiunit horizontal well

The Landman referred to Cause CD # 202102388. On 11/10/2021, 2 partner companies listed on the 202102388 case filed saying “announce a protest of said cause and request that affirmative relief be granted”.

1. Dose that mean they are asking for approval of the 1st one?
  2. If so, why would the Landman say they were not planning on any additional wells for the rest of 2022?
  1. They were talking about consolidating several cases into one hearing. See ORALAP document.
  2. Because they are not planning any wells for the rest of 2022. Camino holds the Miss. reservoir sections 16 & 21 by the Gus McCrae 01S04W 16-21-1MH (Sl in 9) and they do not need to rush into the infill drilling. When they are ready, they will come back and re-file.
  1. What is “infill drilling”? 2)If you do infill drilling, does that mean you stop the existing, producing well before you can drill a new one?
  2. The S16/S21 well seems to be 3x the production rate of the well in S17/S20. At some point in the future the $/Barrel will drop, at what point who knows, but seem the more wells the better at todays >$100/brl.

Infill drilling means more wells in the same unit, from the same reservoir. The existing wells within roughly 1 mile of the new well will be shut-in during the completion phase of the new well. Then started up again. All wells are not created equal for many reasons so some produce more, some less.

Thanks for clearing up the “infill drilling” statement. Like others, I’ll see what happens to the existing well. At it’s current production rate I won’t complain if there is no more drilling this year in that well.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.