More on CGS/EOG

Lease Alert showed over 400 leases/transaction in Dawson County in my email from L/A this morning. CGS was lessee in probably 3/4 of all the filings…yet again. DB

I noticed that too. I counted …out of 432 leases on there…that 236 were CGS/EOG. So, what sort of conclusion might we draw on that? (Coupled with the fact that CGS has been signing lease like that for quite a while).

In my mind, EOG thinks they have something big. Heaven only knows how much acreage the own now.

Middle Sprayberry for sure and my geologist friend from Midland thinks they’re also looking hard at Dean sand for some of it as well as Penn Shale and Fusselman.

All of those produce to varying degrees in my wifes’ acreage in all of League 268 and the East 5 Labors for 267 Moore Cty School Lands.

CGS/EOG has acquired nearly all the leases from our various operators in the MCSL and EOG is now who pays her. EXL did drill a Wolfcamp (I think an A) about 2 years ago in 268 called the Crockett, about a mile and half horizontal which isn’t very good (now operated by EOG), but my geologist says the thermal maturity in the whole Wolfcamp series in southern Dawson is suspect at best…too “young” he says.

Best,

DB

What I’m being told by landmen is that CGS is the land and mineral rights acquiring part of the deal and EOG drills and operates them. EOG seems to have hit some good wells…of course the big Santorini …about 8 mi east of our mineral holdings. And…one of “Dawson County’s Top Producing Wells list” performers is another of EOGs…only about a mile and a half from our holdings in Loving CSL 274 (this well is the Loving CSL 272-7…permit # 050469…obviously in league 272.) It was completed in Aug 2017 at 9,928 ft. Our holdings are there are only in Labor 25 of 274…but that puts us in the geographical center of where Leagues 271, 272, 273 and 274 meet and share a common corner boundary.

Our mineral rights are in Dawson County Loving CSL, Labor 24, League or Section 271. We have been contracted for two consecutive leases. Is it common to be this close to a producing well but receive no proceeds? I know the rules are different with horizontal and vertical wells… Thanks for any help you may have.

I have been following oil leases from CGS in courthouse records since March 2019. Given how many leases they have plus the huge amount of acreage, I expected more drilling rigs to be actively drilling for CGS in Dawson and Gaines counties.

I expected the same, although I am told that back when the price of a barrel of oil was way down, there wasn’t going to be much (or any) drilling. Now that it has come back up we seem to be seeing more activity there. In Dawson anyway…I have not kept track of Gaines as much…but I would think the price of oil would dictate activity all over the Permian Basin.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.