Montana leasing

Does anyone have any information on which companies may be leasing land in Roosevelt ounty Montana for exploring for gas and oil?

My family has land and when lease was up we were told the leasing company has moved out of the area and they did not renew the lease.

We are concerned they may be exploring/drilling now without a lease, especially since they can and are drilling horizontally. What is to protect us from this.

Any information on who may be interested in leasing and what we can do for self protection will be greatly appreciated.

Rita:

Where in Roosevelt County are your minerals located (Township/Range/Section)?

It is possible that Continental Resources might be leasing around your area. You could contact Diamond Resources as they lease on behalf of Continental. If Continental is no longer leasing in that area, Diamond might provide insight on another operator. How many net mineral acres do you have?

Rita Bindl said:

Hi Charles, it is section 9 Township 30N and Range 59E

charles s mallory said:

Rita:

Where in Roosevelt County are your minerals located (Township/Range/Section)?

Thank you very much for the help/info I will look for their info and contact them. There are several acres within all our family and my particular piece is 15 + acres. Would have to gather info from all family members to get total acreage.

charles s mallory said:

It is possible that Continental Resources might be leasing around your area. You could contact Diamond Resources as they lease on behalf of Continental. If Continental is no longer leasing in that area, Diamond might provide insight on another operator. How many net mineral acres do you have?

I would still suggest that you contact Diamond and hope you hear some great news. Currently all drilling activity has been concentrated to the south of your area and the only Bakken well close to your area would be the Mayhem well which was drilled several years ago by Slawson Exploration. Hopefully drilling activity will increase over the next few years.

RITA,

Your land is in a very good spot near the North Dakota Line and south of the Brockton fault. If you get your family together and combine your acreage, it will be more attractive to the operators for a long term lease. In addition to Continental, EOG and Oasis may be prospects. It depends on their near term plans for the area. They all have a lot of acreage to develop so 15 acres won't get management's attention like 160 + acres would.

Thank you so much for the info and suggestions. I will get together with them. Thank you, Rita

Gary L. Hutchinson said:

RITA,

Your land is in a very good spot near the North Dakota Line and south of the Brockton fault. If you get your family together and combine your acreage, it will be more attractive to the operators for a long term lease. In addition to Continental, EOG and Oasis may be prospects. It depends on their near term plans for the area. They all have a lot of acreage to develop so 15 acres won't get management's attention like 160 + acres would.

Gary L Hutchinson

Minerals Management

Rita,

I own minerals in that area as well. I would get together as a family and pay someone to write up a lease for all of you. Also do not be afraid to shop your lease to companies that invest in wells. You are not obligated to lease to the big name oil companies. Don't get in a hurry and read up on this as much as you can. Just to let you know my lease is not in my favor...I wish I would have researched the lease process more. My royalty check gets costs deducted from the check such as transportation, compression etc. Also one well ties up 2 different spacing units. It was in the lease I just did not understand the language.

I just checked http://bogc.dnrc.mt.gov/webmapper_using_webmapper.asp and no activity as of yet. Use this site to look on the map and check dockets for your acreage.

Also I would look here: https://www.dmr.nd.gov/oilgas/ for activity to the east of you in ND. I would bet there are wells or at least permits for the sections on the other side of the border.

Hi Kevin,

Thank you so much for the info. I will keep your links and keep checking on activity. According to our previous landman the oil companies are focusing more on ND right now, but we are basically right across the border so we are hoping we can find someone wanting to lease.

Also Thanks for info on having someone write up a lease. At the very least I will insist on our family having someone read the lease and make sure we all understand it and make sure no hidden clauses or terminology.

Thanks much, Rita