Montague County, TX - Oil & Gas Discussion archives

Thanks Mr. Caldwell! I will contact them too. I'm thinking there are some easy beginning steps you take. Like, to collect most anything there's the first Demand Letter type thing. And I agree with you, I would like nothing better than to call a lawyer and be done with it. But I am poor. I have to spend my very limited funds carefully!

Mr. Downs,

The important question is, did he get your money?

Here's what the State of Texas says about complaints for non-payment of royalties. Looks like there are two avenues,

The State Securities Board of Texas (SSB) is authorized by law to investigate complaints regarding the sale of oil and gas investments. You can reach the SSB as follows:

State Securities Board

P.O. Box 13167

Austin, TX 78711-3167

(512) 305-8300

(888) 663-0009

www.ssb.state.tx.us

The Railroad Commission of Texas (RRC) has primary regulatory jurisdiction over the oil and natural gas industry, pipeline transporters, natural gas & hazardous liquid pipeline industry and natural gas utilities. However, the RRC refers complaints regarding the payment of royalties to the National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO). You can contact the Texas office of that organization as follows:

NARO-Texas

Mr. Terry Retzloff

815-A Brazos St. #678

Austin, Tx 78701

(830) 579-4003

www.naro-us.org

You may wish to discuss your legal remedies in this matter with a private attorney. The Lawyer Referral and Information Service (LRIS) within the State Bar of Texas can connect you with a lawyer in Texas with expertise in the area of law in which you need assistance. LRIS can be reached at (800) 252-9690 or (512) 463-1463. Through the LRIS, a person may have a 30 minute consultation by telephone or in person, depending on the subject matter, with an attorney for $20.

Just stumbled onto this thread. Does everyone know that EOG is an acronym for Enron Oil and Gas? Or is that not widely known?

ie: a operating arm of.

Yes, I knew, but they cleaned house a few years ago and most of those who were ousted either went to prison or are dead.

@Patty Laird: Thanks for the Texas state info on non-payment of royalties. The points to the SSB and LRIS are particularly interesting, especially for non-residents.

However, based on my own experience, I might warn anyone contacting NARO that their first and foremost interest is in gaining paying members. Don't expect much if any help from them unless you are a member.

I think I found a large parcel with an expired lease this week. I'm going to put it out there and see what I get. This should be an interesting new experience for me!

I was recently notified by EOG they needed my w9. My mom passed away in 2010 and the lease belonged to her. EOG asked me to sign an affidavit form in 2011 but I haven’t heard any thing until now. The lease was signed in 2008 and looks like it will expire this year. Does any one know about the Calhoun school district?

location of Calhoun school district

Can anyone share the location of EOG's Badger Units in Montague County?

For Virginia A. Moore - there are 5 Badger wells listed on the Texas Railroad Commission website, Wells 1H through 5H. The wells are located in the Panola County School Survey. Here are the directions for Badger 1H as listed on the permit plat: Go northeast on FM 1749 2.7 miles, then northeast on Smyrna Road 1.6 miles, then northeast on Denver Road 0.9 miles. This should get you into the general area. Other Badger wells show slightly different specific location information, but all in the same general area.

Thanks so much! - I was looking in the wrong block and finally found them last night. I sent myself on a rabbit trail - I hate that! I really appreciate the directions as well.

Has anyone received a lease offer recently from West Bay Exploration? I received an offer of 100.00-3 year-1/6 royalty on the R. Graves and A. Cervantes Surveys. Curious what the going offers were in this area.

Still waiting for payments from EOG since 2010. We have heard every excuse in the book why they won't pay us. There are four wells involved and all have been producing since 2010. We signed a lease and got a division order back in 2009. Have any suggestions?

Richard

Please give more specifics on their excuses and you might get more specific suggestions. Otherwise, most will tell you to,see an attorney.

Mr. Caldwell, I am sure they are using the same excuses for all of us. It's always title/ownership. They use that excuse because it's a loop hole in the law that allows them to avoid paying interest if they claim delay in payment was due to title/ownership issues. They get away Scot free and have the use of our money for free. I think they should have resolve the ownership issues before they can drill. And they should have to pay interest on any late payment for any reason. It's a sweet deal for the oil companies and it stinks for the little guy who just wants his tiny piece of the pie.

The oil companies are well aware we can't afford to fight them for our money. The law needs to be changed!

And Pioneer is the same as EOG. I talk to one of their Landmen monthly and he says the ownership work was done 2 years ago. And still no payment.

Richard, sometimes you can call the county clerks office and if you get someone nice, they will look up the records and see if they can find the original deed showing title, if you have tall the necessary property descriptions. then you might have to show that you are an heir by an affidavit, will, or something else if you aren't on the deed. I'm confused about these problems though - I thought the company researches ownership issues and then presents the owners with a lease, and once signed and money is paid for the right to drill or explore, they then drill/explore.

The best course on them holding royalties based on ownership issues, real or imagined, is to get the ownership issues resolved. If you are at the attorney hiring stage, here is a link for an article I wrote with tips on how to hold down fees. http://www.mineralrightsforum.com/profiles/blogs/does-mineral-owner-need-lawyer-oil-gas

However, doing nothing is usually not a good option. In today's environment, mineral rights have too much potential value. If Richard could give specifics on what the ownership dispute is, maybe he could get some specific suggestions.

For Mr. Richard Downs Byrd: Maybe this will help: I went to the Montague County Courthouse County Clerk's office and got a "Declaration of Pooled Unit" for each of our wells EOG has drilled. It listed all Lessors, their lease date, EOG Lease number, recording information (Volume & Page) etc. from Real Records of Montague County. These documents listed 56 participants for one set of wells and 68 participants for the other two set of wells. I asked the Clerk to do a search by the Well names and they were able to pull the information quickly. Of course, I had to pay for the copies. Their phone number is 940-894-2461. Perhaps they can do the same for you.