Mitchell County, TX - Oil & Gas Discussion archives

Forgive my ignorance, Becky, but what does SWD stand for? Do you have any idea what block nbr that is in? Is that the one north of Loraine?

I recently visited with a Sr. Engineer, and a Sr. Geologist who still work for the major I worked for in Midland. They are very focused on the Permian Basin, and the “shale” plays over there (we didn’t call it “shale” as it really isn’t a pure shale in geologic terms, and neither is the Kline). They are also keenly aware of developments in and around Mitchell county.

Let me just say that we were developing the easy oil in the “shale” formations, which we called mounds in the 1990’s. They were relatively easy to identify on seismic, and the formation is easily mapped between the mounds. It was predominantly Southeast of Crane. We knew that between the mounds there was a lot of oil/gas, but couldn’t get it with the technology/techniques at the time. The breakthrough came with improvement in directional drilling, and massive frac techniques. Today, that is big business in the Permian Basin.

To me, the issues of the Kline, today, are very similar. Oil is there, and we know it, but it may take further breakthroughs to make it economical for exploitation. It may be that my grandchildren will benefit from the acreage that we own, but no one, including the oil companies, is going to forget that the resources exists. So, if necessary, we wait…

sorry, SWD - salt water disposal well, no NBR?, no one is north of Colorado City, by the landfill, and the big one is South of I-20, west of Colorado City

I just learned the term SWD not long ago, so no questions are ignorant.

Is anybody leasing at this time? If so, for how much per acre?

Hi Diana,

May I ask what section of Mitchell county your land is in? Please P.M. me if it more appropriate. Our holdings are south of Loraine.

That’s some good news for a change! I don’t have any grandchildren, so I sure hope it happens in MY lifetime…are they getting any closer to “breakthroughs”?

Blk 25, sections 73 and 75

Thanks for the information Diana!

I also have interests in Block 25 (Sections 58,63, and 64) as well as Block 26, Section 73 leased to Firewheel. I haven’t contacted them but presume they are not going to continue.

Our family also has a lease w/ Firewheel in Mitchell county in sections 19, 79, 59, 71, 74, of blocks 25 & 26, which has one more year until renewal. If the geological news on Cline/Permian/Wolf Camp is true, unique in having up to ten layers of shale oil deposits, there seems

to be hope.

How recent is the geological news?

Although the articles are only 6 months old, this is just a re-hash of older buzz on Cline Shale potential.

Drilling results have shown these early expectations to be very overstated IMO

About six months back, but see two more current articles below, for example, cline shale has 3x more potential than Bakken or Eagle Ford:

(of course, I don’t know whether to believe these forecasts?)

http://clineshalesite.com/clineinfo/

http://tolteq.com/?p=3678

There may be a glimmer of hope for the northeast part of Mitchell Co. yet. At the least, maybe it will cause the oil companies to want to renew there leases. Even though it is in the Strawn, there has been a lot of activity at the Three Span-Mapache well located 7 miles North of Loraine. They finished fracking the well last Friday and yesterday sat up a separator and a 5 tank-tank battery. There were several transport trucks hauling off fluid this morning. (probably flow back) but as of yet there was no visible flare. Hope reigns eternal.

Any news about the Three-Span?

Nothing new at Three Span. There is still no gas being flared.

What does that indicate? I.e. no flare…

Diana,

I am not an authority by any means so please take anything I write with a grain of salt. My understanding is that unless they use some type of artificial lift, oil is produced by internal gas pressures within the well. These gasses would then be separated from the production in the above ground separator and then either put into a pipeline for dispersal or flared as it is against the law to release raw natural gas into the air. There is a gas line going across the property not far from the well so there is the possibility that they are inserting the gas into the pipeline. However, this morning they are erecting the flare assembly near the separator so they may have just been recovering frac water up to this point and are beginning to return some type of petroleum product. It should become apparent in the next few days.

Is the size of the flare significant?

I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed, like everyone else in Mitchell County!