Minority Minerals Owner Blocks Access to Minerals Lease Property

Recently my cousin and I were approached by a landman concerning the lease of mineral rights we hold on a farm property. We both want to lease; however, we discovered that the man to whom the farm was sold (Many years ago) apparently was also granted 1/8 of the mineral rights, with my cousin and I sharing 7/8ths of the mineral rights. We both want to do the lease, but the 1/8 owner has refused to allow the lease as he told the landman he did not want to grant access to his farm at all. The original deal was handled (long time ago) by our uncle who was an excellent land attorney and he structured many similar deals for us regarding considerable amounts of property in TX and OK. All these deals have worked out smoothly over the years to the benefit of living members of our family. I would be surprised if our uncle had left a loophole in this Young County farm sale that would prevent family members from exercising their rights to lease minerals. I do need to search out the original deed of sale, etc. and if warranted, would like a referral to an attorney if it seems we might find a way to resolve this problem of access.

Could anyone give some advice and possibly an attorney referral - if it may be possible that we can get around this problem we would very much like to move forward. Our uncle and other family members who had hands-on knowledge of these family land purchases, etc. are all deceased now and we would like to be able to research and deal with this accurately.

where is your min. in young Co.? Your landman should know wheather or not you uncle gave away the leasing rights. If you have the deed it will say on it if he did. Who are you trying to lease with and how much are they willing to give you If he offer you Bonus money then you have the right to lease and the top soil owner can not stop them from Drilling but some companys don't want to go to court cause it cost money. If the landman is just trying to speculate and sell the lease to some one else he probably doesn't want to lease it. Ask you Landman who the Drilling company is. Go on the mineral owner web and search what other people are getting do give it away.Look on the Throckmorton Group if your close by jack,Clay and any county close by. Hope this Helps.

Thanks so much for your reply. I have been able to get the information you suggest and am making progress on moving further.