Mineral Taxes in Reeves County, 2021

I received the tax appraisal today for two wells in BLK 13 SEC 237-238 for 2020 and 2021. I went to the cagi.com website to register but it will only allow registration for 2022. Anyone else tried this? Thanks

I think that Reeves County took the appraisals in-house for 2020 and 2021. You need to go to Reeves County CAD office with questions.

had you previously received appraisals for this property for 20 and 21?

No, these were the first ones I received and they don’t make sense. One has one amount for 2020 and a higher estimate of taxes and the second one has the amount for 2020 and a second amount of 2021 but a lower estimate of taxes. Reeves Co did take it in house and made such a mess of it that I think they now have a new Chief Appraiser and Capital Appraisal Group took it back over. I called them and someone called back and set up a login for me so I was able to log on. After looking at the entry on the Capital Appraisal Group website, only one of the wells is actually listed.

You ought to read the statement from the Reeves County Appraisal District interim chief appraiser for 2021. He actually used the term monumental mistake in describing the actions of the previous chief appraiser. I have visited with the guy personally over the phone (a bureaucrat who returned phone calls). In any event, the CAG rep said what is being done, is that they are going back and reviewing appraisals and looking for “zero” value appraisals on properties that previously had value.

3 Likes

F100owner is right, as he usually is. Reeves CAD had a big meltdown after they tried to bring their mineral appraisals in house. Use the search feature in the upper right for other threads about the problems with this CAD. We got five envelopes yesterday of 2020 and 2021 Notice of Proposed Value giving us a few weeks to protest. If you don’t protest the values, then expect them to try to come back and collect on all the wells they failed to send notice and collect for in 2021. We are looking at our notices to see if it includes 2020 also. I know we had wells they failed to bill us on for 2021 because I even sent them a list, and they responded and said they were showing these as $0 value and to not worry about them.

Assuming what you got was a notice of value, and not a tax bill, what we are doing is:

1. Checking records carefully to make sure they have not included wells we did pay 2021 taxes on;
  2. Looking at the values and deciding whether to protest;
  3. Checking to see if they are also going to go back to 2020 or whether they are only listing 2020 for comparison purposes.
4 Likes

WE got these notices too. Kind of freaking out… We need some help with this…first they raised the value of the land by 1500% in a year, now this, They are going back to 2019 for us

Karla_KP did you guys receive statements/valuations for your wells in 2020/2021? Most everyone I have heard got pounded on surface valuations. In our case they climbed about 800 percent based on the sale of one piece of property a few miles away - that became their “basis,” which I think is ludicrous. I did check the valuation per acre of property around us and the new valuations had already been applied to them.

1 Like

I am also concerned about this new appraisal. Anyone have a plan of action? I am interested.

1 Like

One of the wells I have was drilled in 2019 and the second one in 2020. I haven’t received an appraisal on the second one yet.

1 Like

This is the first time I have had an appraisal on a well. The surface values went way up all right on all the properties!

1 Like

I did read the statement. Interesting that he made that statement on the website! The two wells I receive royalties on are relatively new. This was the first appraisal.

1 Like

I would be interested to know how to protest the value of an oil well!

1 Like

Please do a search in the upper right for several threads about the options on protesting mineral appraisals.

We also got appraised value notices for 2020.

1 Like

For example, here is one thread - https://www.mineralrightsforum.com/t/texas-property-tax-on-producing-wells-minerals/57326/8

Type “protest mineral appraisal” in the upper right and several threads will pop up.

1 Like

You can reach the 2021 tax details for the newly appraised wells on the CAGI website. First you have to log in or register. (2) Go to Data Tab along top row to access Mineral Data. (3) Under Taxpayer Data there is + Search Accounts. This is above the words Appraisal Year 2022. (4) Click on Search Accounts and it will open a new page. Here is where you change from Appraisal Year 2022 to earlier years, such as 2021 or 2020. (5) Click on box under Client (County Code) to open list and scroll to Reeves A195 (or other county of your choice). (6) Hit SEARCH button. This opens new page with Appraisal Year 2021 and a line with your Owner Key and name. (7) Hit arrow key next to your Owner Key number and a list of all new well appraisals will open. (8) You can either download all 3 reports for all wells or you can use download button next to each well to view and download 3 reports for the well. These are Notice of Appraised Value; Work Paper Allocation which is the detail on the prices, volumes and other factors to arrive at the total well value which is then reduced to your royalty decimal share; and Appraisal Roll which is a summary of your valuation for 2020 (if available) and for 2021.

3 Likes

Do the appraisers ever use the income approach for valuation rather than the sales approach? Our annual income is down significantly but not the taxes. Could that argument be made?

1 Like

I believe, based on my visit with interim appraiser last year sales values are used on surface, while income generation is used on minerals.

Thank you for your help!

Thank you for your help on this!