Mineral Rights

I know that my father has land in Luling, Tx and oil was found on it but my dad never received anything, I was a teenager at the time but later found out that other family members are receiving royalities and will not talk to me when I ask them about my father’s share, my father is now deceased but I just need to know if anyone can give me some advice on what to do.

I think you need to find something that shows where your fathers mineral rights came from. Whether he inherited them or purchased. Your grandfathers will and probate or probate of your grandfathers estate if your father inherited the minerals. The probate is public record and should give you the description of the minerals. With the description of the minerals you should be able to determine that your father didn’t sell them by searching the county records. You may be able to search online, for a small subscription fee. If you find evidence of your fathers ownership, you can contact the operating company of the well. They may want to lease you. A landman may take a rough preliminary look to see if you are worth leasing, but may want a signed lease before doing definitive title work. Send me a friend request if you want to hear some of the arguements I’ve had to use on my family to extract information so we can all get paid. Ought to make you laugh, if nothing else. I don’t want to publish it to the forum as it may tend to embarass me. RWK

The fact that other family members clam up when the topic is broached, speaks volumes.

I'd say it's definitely worth a few hours of your time doing some digging. Public records are very accessible.

thank you, I have been searching unclaimed propery and trying to find other areas to seach on the internet.

AJ said:

The fact that other family members clam up when the topic is broached, speaks volumes.

I'd say it's definitely worth a few hours of your time doing some digging. Public records are very accessible.

thanks for the information, my father did not leave a will so you can see what a hard time I’m having finding out what I need.

r w kennedy said:

I think you need to find something that shows where your fathers mineral rights came from. Whether he inherited them or purchased. Your grandfathers will and probate or probate of your grandfathers estate if your father inherited the minerals. The probate is public record and should give you the description of the minerals. With the description of the minerals you should be able to determine that your father didn't sell them by searching the county records. You may be able to search online, for a small subscription fee. If you find evidence of your fathers ownership, you can contact the operating company of the well. They may want to lease you. A landman may take a rough preliminary look to see if you are worth leasing, but may want a signed lease before doing definitive title work. Send me a friend request if you want to hear some of the arguements I've had to use on my family to extract information so we can all get paid. Ought to make you laugh, if nothing else. I don't want to publish it to the forum as it may tend to embarass me. RWK

Call the company operating the well or wells and tell them just what you wrote here. What might have happen is that your other family members failed to tell the oil company about your father being an heir. I had a guy try to sell me mineral rights that he had inherited by law a 1/3rd in but filed an affidavit of heirship stating he was the only living relative and only heir, there were others that didn't get a dime cause he committed fraud.

If you don't have the name of the company operating the well there are ways of getting the name free.

Thanks again for your information, you said there are ways of getting the name of the company that is operating the well, if you don't mind how do I go about finding this out?

Mineral Joe said:

Call the company operating the well or wells and tell them just what you wrote here. What might have happen is that your other family members failed to tell the oil company about your father being an heir. I had a guy try to sell me mineral rights that he had inherited by law a 1/3rd in but filed an affidavit of heirship stating he was the only living relative and only heir, there were others that didn't get a dime cause he committed fraud.

If you don't have the name of the company operating the well there are ways of getting the name free.

Janet,

Do you know the legal description or just where the land was as I take it the surface was sold, correct? How many years ago would the surface been sold? Let me know and I'll tell you how to find the companies name and perhaps find more info.

I don’t have the legal description but I do know that the surface was sold in the 1960’s, and it was in Luling, Texas.

Mineral Joe said:

Janet,

Do you know the legal description or just where the land was as I take it the surface was sold, correct? How many years ago would the surface been sold? Let me know and I'll tell you how to find the companies name and perhaps find more info.

Not much to go on, I’d call the county clerk at 512-398-1804 and ask how far back they go on computer. If they have it going back that far give them his name, or was this your grandparents land? Give them the name and they will pull the deed or lease for you last filed with that name, it will have a legal description. Let me know and I can tell you how to proceed.

Thank you so much, I will call tomorrow and let you know.