Mineral rights valuation

I just received an appraisal of my mother's mineral rights on 23.5168 acres located on Sec 4 and 8, T 145 N, R 104 W. The appraised value came in at $425/acre for a total of $9,994.64.

This property has no existing wells and the last lease was negotiated in July of 2010 and paid her $3,528.00 for a 5 year lease which appears to have a 1/8 royalty.

I am purchasing her rights to prepare her for medicaid eligiblilty.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts regarding the fairness of that valuation.

While the subject acres are not very far from production, they are not very close to any good production either. The production in the area looks fair for the short lateral Bakken wells I looked at fair because they are cheap less than 1 mile laterals. There was only 1 long lateral [1 mile long] in the group I looked at and it didn't look impressive.

Looked at two ways, the subject acres in my opinion are not proven and even if they were the equal of the surrounding acres could take a decade to pay you $425 an acre leased at 1/8 or even 1/6. I wish I knew what he based the valuation on. If I had to give the acres an absolute value, I would say they were worth less than $425 an acre, alot less. Speculative value could be more than $425 an acre but speculation is gambling and the nearest well, the one with the 1 mile lateral, operated by Continental Resources, Bicentennial Federal 10-34H has produced 16,310 bbl oil in 25 months. I don't see anyone rushing to try to duplicate that feat. When I set the map filter to 30 miles, there is not a single rig symbol. If someone were to want to buy the subject acres it would be, in my opinion to add them to their portfolio to see if they would appreciate or possibly there would be some exploration decades in the future.

If I had to guess, whoever did the valuation probably extrapolated what the lease bonus would have been at 1/6 royalty and quadrupled it. If that was what they did I think it would have been wrong. The closest production to your acres if anything, would lead one to believe that the acres are unproven and risky to explore. I don't think they have as much value as they did in 2010, possibly no more value than the 2010 lease bonus.

As I said before, you couldn't rule out that someone would offer you $425 for the acres, people do strange things sometimes. If someone bought the acres from your for $425, it's even possible that they could find someone who would pay $625 for them, it's called the greater fool theory, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Another thing, the lease. If the lease is still in effect, which I assume it is if executed in 2010 and it had a primary term of 5 years, if this lease is at 1/8 royalty, it damages the value of the acres burdened with a poor lease. People buy minerals because they hope to make money. Who in their right mind would pay $10,000 for acres that might pay them back $10,000 in 10 years, if the wells, both of the needed wells were drilled today? I don't think you would have much luck finding a greater fool until that lease expires. God only knows what else is in that lease, post production costs? transportation? You might ask whoever gave the valuation if they based it on value right this instant, or on the best of all possible worlds.

That said, it's easy for me to sit here and pick their work apart, no professional would appreciate that. It might not do any good to bring up what I have just told you. In my opinion I just spent more time working on the valuation than your appraiser did. While it may not please them to hear the question, I would ask them how they arrived at the value they did. I frequently end these things with I hope this helps, and I mean it! Somehow, I don't really think it will in this case, but you asked and it was an interesting exercise.

Mr. Kennedy

Thank you for the valuable information regarding the valuation of my mother's mineral rights. It sounds like propects are not that great in our area and the lease she signed may not be too good. I am trying to do the right thing regarding medicaid requirements and liquidating her assets but I really don't want to overpay for something i will never break even on. The so called appraisal was completed by the same company she leased from. My attorney was just trying to get some idea of value. It seems to be next to impossible to find independent sources of information in the Bakken since its so crazy and all the oil men are working for the oil companies. I am not sure what to do, but i guess i can discount the appraisal and if medicaid questions the purchase i will have to defend my value somehow. What a pain. I truly am not trying to cheat the government out of anything but at the same time i want to protect myself.

Again thanks for your response and if you happen to know anyone that i can engage for an unbiased appraisal, i would be grateful.

Thanks

Gary

r w kennedy said:

While the subject acres are not very far from production, they are not very close to any good production either. The production in the area looks fair for the short lateral Bakken wells I looked at fair because they are cheap less than 1 mile laterals. There was only 1 long lateral [1 mile long] in the group I looked at and it didn't look impressive.

Looked at two ways, the subject acres in my opinion are not proven and even if they were the equal of the surrounding acres could take a decade to pay you $425 an acre leased at 1/8 or even 1/6. I wish I knew what he based the valuation on. If I had to give the acres an absolute value, I would say they were worth less than $425 an acre, alot less. Speculative value could be more than $425 an acre but speculation is gambling and the nearest well, the one with the 1 mile lateral, operated by Continental Resources, Bicentennial Federal 10-34H has produced 16,310 bbl oil in 25 months. I don't see anyone rushing to try to duplicate that feat. When I set the map filter to 30 miles, there is not a single rig symbol. If someone were to want to buy the subject acres it would be, in my opinion to add them to their portfolio to see if they would appreciate or possibly there would be some exploration decades in the future.

If I had to guess, whoever did the valuation probably extrapolated what the lease bonus would have been at 1/6 royalty and quadrupled it. If that was what they did I think it would have been wrong. The closest production to your acres if anything, would lead one to believe that the acres are unproven and risky to explore. I don't think they have as much value as they did in 2010, possibly no more value than the 2010 lease bonus.

As I said before, you couldn't rule out that someone would offer you $425 for the acres, people do strange things sometimes. If someone bought the acres from your for $425, it's even possible that they could find someone who would pay $625 for them, it's called the greater fool theory, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Another thing, the lease. If the lease is still in effect, which I assume it is if executed in 2010 and it had a primary term of 5 years, if this lease is at 1/8 royalty, it damages the value of the acres burdened with a poor lease. People buy minerals because they hope to make money. Who in their right mind would pay $10,000 for acres that might pay them back $10,000 in 10 years, if the wells, both of the needed wells were drilled today? I don't think you would have much luck finding a greater fool until that lease expires. God only knows what else is in that lease, post production costs? transportation? You might ask whoever gave the valuation if they based it on value right this instant, or on the best of all possible worlds.

That said, it's easy for me to sit here and pick their work apart, no professional would appreciate that. It might not do any good to bring up what I have just told you. In my opinion I just spent more time working on the valuation than your appraiser did. While it may not please them to hear the question, I would ask them how they arrived at the value they did. I frequently end these things with I hope this helps, and I mean it! Somehow, I don't really think it will in this case, but you asked and it was an interesting exercise.

Mr. Madison, the acres may be worth more in the future, but it doesn't look like anyone wants to drill them right now. The poor lease would make someone not want to pay top dollar, because there is always the chance that someone could drill before the lease ends and they would be stuck at 1/8 royalty forever, on acres that with current technology may have a tough time showing a profit above cost of production.

When I said the valuation should be for this instant in time, I mean now that it's leased with that lease which has already conveyed 87.5% of the value of the oil away for $3,528. If you multiplied $3,528 X 1.125 = $3,969 so the 12.5% royalty interest retained should be worth $441, according to the last known willing seller and willing buyer, your mom and the lessee. You are only interested in the value at this moment, not what it might be if the poor lease expired, or what someone might pay if a rig got within 2 miles of the acres or even hit a better well. It hasn't happened yet and should have no bearing on the value right now. If I had a $1,000,000 house 10 years ago whose value fell to $200,000 my lawyer would be well known at the tax appraisal office because I wouldn't continue to pay taxes on 1 million dollars for a two hundred thousand dollar house, that might be worth 1 million again some day, but not now.

My father, before he passed in 98 was on medicaid, they couldn't have cared less about his minerals on which production had ceased in the late 70's and nobody had leased since. Minerals which there is demonstrably no interest in producing have very low value. I do think that someone may thank you for preserving the minerals but it may be 30 years in the future before they become of greater value. I'm sure you don't want to cheat anyone. I think it would be a shame that you would have to pay taxes on an amount that I don't think you could sell the acres for today, just like my house and property tax analogy.

If someone wanted to value the acres at $425, I would ask them will that be cash or cashiers check and I would buy fewer but better placed acres with the money to avoid capital gains tax.

I think you may have gotten a high valuation because there would be no repercussions for the evaluator from a high value, no defense needed. Mr. Madison, I wish you and your mom greater fortune in the future.

I wanted to add a legal description to the valuation discussion to see if anyone might have some input.We have 90 acres net in 151N-96W-SEC 3.We received an offer for $1500.00 per acre with a 5% ORRI.There is a lot of activity there.The working interest is 9.14% and we are non consent in two wells.The NDIC site shows these two wells have produced 200,000BB and 300,000 MCF the past two years.I do not have a current payout statement.Thank you for your response.

Sorry,I now realize I should have started a new discussion for my previous post.I did not mean to interrupt Mr. Madison's discussion.My apologies.

Mr. Easley, I would sell that when hell froze over, there are 3 wells, not two. Production through January

#18404_183,329 for 2.5 years production

#19490_172,679 for 22 months

# 22280_31,488 for 3 months 6,037 in january

Total in january this year 387,496 barrels oil. I think you can expect even more wells before this spacing is fully developed. To put it simply, don't sell it. I think I could safely say that I would not sell for $10,000 per acre and 5%. Mr. Easley, I am going to send you a friend request, give you my e-mail and phone #. I hope you accept because in 5 years I might want to live in your garage because it's nicer than my house, if you don't sell.

Tim Easley said:

I wanted to add a legal description to the valuation discussion to see if anyone might have some input.We have 90 acres net in 151N-96W-SEC 3.We received an offer for $1500.00 per acre with a 5% ORRI.There is a lot of activity there.The working interest is 9.14% and we are non consent in two wells.The NDIC site shows these two wells have produced 200,000BB and 300,000 MCF the past two years.I do not have a current payout statement.Thank you for your response.

Gary,

I think you may have gotten a "rule of thumb" appraisal not one based in science and economics particular to your mother's mineral rights. Without proven reserves (at term of financial art) your mother's minerals only have speculative value which must be strongly discounted in a present value determination of fair market value.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

PS I manage minerals in McKenzie County continuously and can tell you that Mr Kennedy has his finger on the pulse. A scientific based risk discount rate is what need be applied.

I don't know, I'd say the company that leased her minerals and are handing out money might probably be as good as anyone as to give a valuation, with more understanding and first hand knowledge of perspective formations, if they are the operator, seems like they probably are more in the business. I don't think they are handing out tons of money cause they are all idiots.

By the way, I purchase mineral rights in McKenzie County North Dakota continuously and I can tell you that I know many buyers that would feel a $425 per acre valuation is low. Seems to me there are 2 valuations, what price someone believes to the best of their educated knowledge something is worth and then the price that many buyers are willing to pay.

Mineral Rights Buyer

Just curious Joe, did you look at the actual area in the OP's legal description and possibly some of the production? Much as I wish it were, not all of McKenzie county is as good as gold. Joe, if you think it's good, I hope all your wells produce 21,245 bbl oil in 20 months and are down to 11bbl a day and have a cumulative production of 50,908 bbl water. How about the other close XXL? 26,851 bbl oil in 26 months with cumulative water of 101,144 bbl. This is the good one, only down to 21 bbl oil a day. Wells drilled in 2011 should have up to date completion techniques. How long do you think it would take for these 7-8 million dollar wells to pay out, if ever? What would you estimate their value at? Especially if it was under a 1/8 lease?

Actually I guess I could take the lease out of the equation, because I doubt anyone is going to drill it for a decade, maybe longer, but it is under a poor lease and that affects the present value.

Thanks everyone for the information. I basically paid the same price as the last lease payment Mom got. There is such a wide range of values I decided to just use that number. I believe it was fair to both parties and obviously if I get big money and Mom is still with us, then she will get the benefits.