Mineral rights research

Hello everyone!
A few years back my husband was contacted by an oil company about drilling some test holes on some land in Wilson county. The company said they had been looking for him for 5 years and tracked him down through facebook. Apparently, his great grandfather bought the land in the 1930s but sold it off and retained the mineral rights. He had one child, who went on to have only one child (my mother in law) who then had only one child, making him the sole heir. Now, family folk lore says he did this with many properties, but we never really looked into it. My question is how do I look further into this with the information I have? Is it possible? Thanks in Advance. Any help is appreciated.

You have 3 solid options:

1. If you have the time and inclination, you can learn how to research your own title history and find this information yourself. The learning curve is very steep, and the process can be frustrating, but it’s the cheapest option.

2. Hire a professional landman to do the research for you. If you hire a good landman, this will be the second cheapest option - hire a bad one and it may be your most expensive. As with any contractor you hire, be sure to check their professional references - Just because someone says they’re a good landman doesn’t mean they are. Many people think they’re landmen just because they have a year or two in the business, but it takes many years to learn the intricacies of the trade.

3. Hire an attorney. This will be your most expensive option, but attorneys know the laws, and can render a legal opinion on title that you can rely on. Again, get professional references.

Best of luck!

You can try texasfile.com, putting your grandfathers name see what comes up they go by counties or rrctexas under drilling permits your grandfathers name