Mineral rights records dating from 1950's for Williams County North Dakota

These records were passed on and belong to my friends mother-in -law who knows nothing about them. I look at the sections and there are serveral active wells involved. At the time of these records the mineral rights were under the name Cuddigan. I told my friend about the possibility that 20 yrs. passed and the landowner may have claimed the mineral rights. Also that the mineral rights may have not been passed on to her mother-in-laws family. Is there anyway that my friend can trace what happened to these mineral rights? Thanks for any help.

I wonder, even if the surface owner could reclaim the mineral rights if the production that occoured before that date still belongs to the last recorded owner.

Jack:

Do you have additional information about the area such as: Township/Range/Section? Being that this County is indicated as being mostly temp. spaced, someone is probably holding claim to these minerals.

It occours to me to ask if the old documents you are looking at are deeds, or are they leases. If the minerals were leased and a well thereafter drilled in the time period of the lease, and the well is still producing to date, I don’t think the surface owner could claim the minerals, as they are in use.

What is meant by temporary spacing and how would this effect mineral rights? Thank you in advance.

charles s mallory said:

Jack:

Do you have additional information about the area such as: Township/Range/Section? Being that this County is indicated as being mostly temp. spaced, someone is probably holding claim to these minerals.

Jack:

Temporary spacing means the operator has made an application before the State agency that regulates oil and gas whereas the operator states the township, range and sections for the proposed well along with proposed drilling data. A hearing date is set where any company who opposes the application can protest the approval. Most all applications are approved. The next step in the process is a application for a drilling permit.

Jack Prescott said:

What is meant by temporary spacing and how would this effect mineral rights? Thank you in advance.

charles s mallory said:

Jack: