Mineral rights ownership

Hi, My Dad, 85 years old, Has been contacted from several landmen and energy companies about leases. The land was homesteaded in the land rush by his grandparents. He currently lives in Oregon. There was no will left by his mother nor was there probate. There are other heirs from the grandparents and some have been contacted.

He is unable to get the full scope of what is going on and I am trying to help but do not live near him so is difficult to put everything together. Someone said an affidavit of heir ship would need to be filed, but filed where? Would a Lawyer be recommended? Is there way to track ownership from out of the area. Where do we start? Thanks any suggestions would be appreciated. Rob Quackenbush

Even if you do an affidavit of heirship, I'd suggest getting everyone together and probating the estate. It should save you a lot of grief in the future.

If you want to give the legal I can see if there is anything pending .

You can file that in the courthouse in the county the property is in. I would recommend actually putting it into some sort of deed - affidavits are a mess when trying to quiet title. We spent 3 months and $2000 getting one straight after the death of my father and uncle that they had gotten via A of Heirship.

The legal is Section 7 - 17n - 4w Logan County. Thanks everyone for your help.

section 7 has been pooled. Is your interest listed ?

http://imaging.occeweb.com/AP/Orders/occ5108841.pdf

Yes, unknown heirs of Anna Quackenbush, my Dad's mother. Anna's sisters are listed with unknown heirs also.