Mineral Rights ownership and Lease offers

Mother of 8 children had Mineral Rights (Property in Anderson County, TX). Upon her death, the rights are split 1/8th each child? To clarify, One of the 8 children was given for adoption when she was a small child, is she considered to own 1/8th. If so, is there any legal info regarding the inheritance of mineral rights. Also another of the 8 children passed away prior to the mother passing. That child had 2 children of her own that survive. Do they split the 1/8 that would have been their mother's?

Things are very confusing. We have already been contacted by the Landman and have already received Lease papers to sign. Any info provided will be helpful. By the way, would be very happy to hear from any "Kale" kin from Anderson County, TX.

M Albers,

Sounds like you've got it right about the inheritance of the mineral rights of the children including the adopted child. Maybe our friend Mr. Wade Caldwell can add to my answer since he is an attorney and I am not. He is well versed on these type of situations. How many acres do you have to lease? What is the name of the company that is doing the leasing and how much per acre bonus money are they offering? I would not sign a lease for over 3 years. If a oil/gas company can't drill a well in 3 years, they need to give someone else a chance to drill instead of tying up your acreage. Good luck on your lease and I hope you get a good producing well someday. Royalty checks are nice.

Clint Liles

Myself and several others have received leases over the last year in an area NW to NE of Neches and all the way up to Frankston. Most of the leases where I know the mineral owners have gotten $150 tp $250 an acre. What part of Anderson Co is your interest? John Cundieff

Not familiar with the area at all. My siblings (8) grew up in Wisconsin so too far away to have done any research. The lease refers to the John A. Newland Survey. Think North of Palestine maybe Athens area. Have seen Carroll Springs mentioned regarding the area where my Great Grandparents lived. Our offer is $150 per net mineral acre 3 year lease, royalty 1/6th of production. Company name Beaufort Operating, LLC, Dallas address.

M Albers,

the only Beaufort Operating I can come up with is a landman based in Athens, Texas. I don't find a listing for a Beaufort Operating out of Dallas. I suspect this is a landman leasing on his own with the intention of flipping these leases to some large oil/gas company and making himself some big money. If you do lease to someone make sure you get a check and not a not a bank draft.

I have a large survey map of Anderson Co (east Part) and the John Newland survey is on Hwy 19 north of Palestine and joins Henderson Co. The towns of Bradford and Carrolo Springs are on Hwy 19 and are probably in the Newland survey. DO NOT accept any thing less than 3/16ths on the royalty part of your lease as that is what I got a year ago and I think I was one of the earlier leases because I know of several later leases since where1/5th was paid. Also I know of two leases in that area that the lessor got $200 and $250 an acre. John Cundieff

Thanks Clint and John for your input. Would it be an unwise decision to just sign the lease papers and agree to the terms of $150/nma and 1/6 royalty. At this point I don't want to screw up the offer to lease. What could happen if we request a more favorable offer amount. How do we know if our lease gets sold off to a oil/gas company and if there would be any drilling going on or if our land was just tied up so others can't get to it? Any input will be very helpful. Thanks.

M Albers,

I agree with John on at least 3/16 royalty and $250 per acre. NEGOTIATE. Try to negotiate for the 1/5 royalty and come down to $200 per acre. In the long run the royalty will mean more than the per acre amount. I have interest in a well in Wise County Texas that has been producing since 1979 and is still producing. Royalty checks are nice every month.

Clint Liles