Mineral rights I've inherited

To make a long story short my family has mineral rights in Blaine county oklahoma. My grandmother was trying to sell them but passed away before the final paperwork. I had no idea until last week that she never sold them. My mother passed before my grandma and the way i understand it i have had some passed to me she had a will and all that. Me and my siblings recived a letter about a hearing over a horizonal well. I have no idea what to do now. Can someone give me some advise on what i should do. Thank you.

Do not sell! Find a lawyer to help with probate. This is an investment that will continue to pay off in the future for your family.

3 Likes

I also agree with Marty. Get the probate settled. Keep copies of everything that anyone is sending you. DO NOT SELL! At this moment at least. You need to get all your legal ducks in a row and really understand what you have.

Read the Mineral Help tab above. Read the following topic with links in Canadian County. https://www.mineralrightsforum.com/t/information-for-inexperienced-royalty-owners/25663

Read the Oklahoma Corporation Commission publication. http://www.occeweb.com/OG/RoyaltyOwnersBooklet0218.pdf

Read the Blaine county topics and get up to speed.

Also look up your ancestor’s names in www.okcountyrecords.com and see if you find listings of your grandmother’s previous leases, deeds, probate, etc.

If you get a pooling order for that well, answer it immediately. You only have 20 calendar days. I choose the highest royalty and the lowest bonus as that usually does better in the long run.

Ask tons of questions!

Thank you. One of your members was able to help me a great deal. He was able to find everything for me, however it didnt turn out so well for my siblings and I. My mother was the executor of my grandmothers will she sadly died before my grandma. A month after my mother died my grandma changed the will and left her rights to be split between my aunt and my grandmas then boyfriend.My aunt suffers from dementia her son got her to sign her rights to him and the boyfriend did as well so my cousin who is a felon and been in trouble for Embezzlement and stealing my grandmas idenity sold all the mineral rights. I have looked over the paperwork and there are some things that dont make since to me I am going to have a lawer look it over I think if anybody should have got that 60k in should have been my aunt. I am not really sure if i can do anything at this point but thank you for your advise.

I am so sorry to hear that. Definitely get in touch with an attorney.

1 Like

Start your research here: Blaine County | OKCountyRecords.com | County Clerk Public Land Records for Oklahoma These can be tough, but not impossible cases.

Thank you. You all are very helpfull.

im pretty sure this is a fake i am looking into it

I am no expert, but about 4 years ago, I inherited mineral rights in Texas. I have received numerous lucrative offers to buy them, but my assumption is that they are worth much more than the offers, or why would they want to buy them. Right?? It appears that my assumption was correct because there are now several horizontal wells in operation and the royalty checks are coming–over $3000 last month. I didn’t have to do anything really. It seems that there is a record of ownership somewhere and when an oil company wants to tap wells, they send me a paper to sign and send me royalty checks. I am still receiving offers to buy and each offer is larger than the one before it, but the royalties will be worth much more in the long run. I would say keep mineral rights. I don’t know anything about a hearing, but the way my rights have been going, I would guess that you were informed for information purposes and don’t need to do anything. I would contact the person who sent you the letter and ask what it is about.

1 Like

Oh–I’m so sorry. I just read your follow-up.

Thanks for trying to help. At this point i am looking into fraud. I know I will not inherit anything if i prove fraud but my family worked to hard for our mineral rights to be sold by a crook. 5 generations those rigjts were in the family. I am glad your doing well and i wish you and your family the best. The worst part of all this is my great great grandma kept those rights for our future generations.

Get a consulting geologist to evaluate your mineral position as well.