Mineral rights Inheritance

My father and mother own property and the mineral rights in Pennsylvania. Both are on the deed. My father passed away without having a will; does everything automatically go to my mother, or do my brother and I receive a percentage on intestate inheritance?

To get an answer you need to know exactly how the deed reads & what Pennsylvania law says. Are they shown as tenants in common, as joint tenants, etc?

1 Like

It was a joint tenancy.

Joint tenancy was automatic; however, I’m curious what happens without a will in place. There was no will and from what I’ve been reading about inheritance it states that there is an intestate in Pennsylvania. My mother has the house now in her name, the vehicles in her name, and the land now too; but does that include mineral rights or are they something that should have been divided amongst her and myself and sibling?

I’m not a lawyer. In all the states I’ve worked as a landman, the survivor of the joint tenancy owns 100% of whatever they received with the deed. I would suggest you take a copy of the deed to a lawyer versed in Pennsylvania land title law to get your answer.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.