Mineral rights in Williams and burke counties -North Dakota

Hello, I am completely new to this website and to investigating my mineral rights. I have a few basic questions.

1. I have the general information on what township, section and lots- but it doesn’t mean much to me. is there any map that would show me exactly where and how much mineral rights I have in these areas?
  2. I have been asked to sell mineral rights - which I do not want to do at this time. We are thinking of leasing. However, the offers seem very low ball- especially for leasing. How can I know what is going rate for leasing?
  3. I hope I do not have to do so, but is a lawyer who knows mineral rights – worth it? Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum. You can actually learn quite a bit on this forum and on your own. The North Dakota Oil and Gas commission has maps online, but you will have to hunt down the net acreage on your own. www.oilgas.nd.gov

This is a good article on the legal descriptions. It is for OK, but applies to ND as well.

That link keeps getting stuck. The software tries to open it. If I cut and paste it into the search engine, it works. I have snuck three spaces in front of it, so try to copy it

http://jay.law.ou.edu/faculty/Hampton/Mineral%20Title%20Examination/Spring%202012/Legal%20Land%20Descriptions%20in%20OK_Kletke.pdf

Don’t sell until you really understand what you have. The Bakken is heating up a bit and you need information first. Leasing will totally depend upon location. You can ask questions in the particular counties and folks can help you out. Remember to post the section, township and range in your question.

Very hard to find an attorney in ND who is not already bound to an oil company.