Mineral Rights in sections that are in the river?

Has anyone heard that the state of North Dakota is trying to claim mineral rights that are in the river? My mother's are T153, R100, sections 20, 28 and 29 - all located in the Missouri River where Oasis has one active well and is drilling another.

JS

My mother was recently contacted by Sundance Oil & Gas, the company that handled the 5 year lease for Oasis in 2006. They made her an offer for a one-year lease extension but then cancelled because Oasis has already started drilling, so the lease is automatically extended. I can fill you in with more detail - check your inbox.

JS

Joe:

Your correct in that ND is trying to claim ownership of minerals located in the Missouri River. According to articles in the Minot and Williston newspapers, it appears a lawsuit has been filed in regards to this situation and currently no action has been taken. The article stated that this lawsuit could take years to settle. It sounds like either the State of ND or the various mineral rights owners will eventually recieve a chunk of change from any production in this area.

Hey, the Williston Herald just had an article on this Thursday, July 7th...front page. There was another article quite some time back. What happened is that there is a well that the city of Williston thought they owned along with some private individuals and then the State stepped in and said those were THEIR mineral acres. Brigham had just filed a suit concerning this as well.

I didn't understand why Brigham is suing both the County and the State, or all of it, but this will be a court case that will affect many individuals. My husband has some acres under the water that we did not lease because the state is taking claim to them as well and the companies don't want to really touch those at this time.

I was led to believe that when this happens all of the funds have to be placed into a trust and cannot be paid out until the issues are resolved.

Thanks for the info - should be interesting to see what happens ...

JS

Well Wisher said:

Hey, the Williston Herald just had an article on this Thursday, July 7th...front page. There was another article quite some time back. What happened is that there is a well that the city of Williston thought they owned along with some private individuals and then the State stepped in and said those were THEIR mineral acres. Brigham had just filed a suit concerning this as well.

I didn't understand why Brigham is suing both the County and the State, or all of it, but this will be a court case that will affect many individuals. My husband has some acres under the water that we did not lease because the state is taking claim to them as well and the companies don't want to really touch those at this time.

I was led to believe that when this happens all of the funds have to be placed into a trust and cannot be paid out until the issues are resolved.

charles s mallory said:

Joe:

Your correct in that ND is trying to claim ownership of minerals located in the Missouri River. According to articles in the Minot and Williston newspapers, it appears a lawsuit has been filed in regards to this situation and currently no action has been taken. The article stated that this lawsuit could take years to settle. It sounds like either the State of ND or the various mineral rights owners will eventually recieve a chunk of change from any production in this area.