Mineral rights in family limbo

I’ve just joined this forum hoping for some help with mineral rights owned by my now-deceased mother. She owned 15 acres in Lot 28, Division 3,Wild Peach Subdivision, S.F. Austin Survey, Abstract 20. The problem is that when she died my father didn’t transfer the rights to his name because production had ceased in the late 80s and I honestly think it just wasn’t on his radar. My siblings and I were his legal heirs when he died but there was no mention of the mineral rights in his will. My questions are:

1. Is there or has there been any production since the late 80s?
  2. How do we transfer the ownership to my siblings and I?
  3. Is it worth going through the expense of potentially hiring an attorney to make this happen?

I sincerely appreciate in advance any help that comes my way with this issue. As executor of my dad’s estate this has been weighing on my mind for quite some time.

there is no recent leasing or wells permitted in that immediate area…there are still wells producing within the boundaries of the subdivision…

in a county that has had as much production as Brazoria County has I would say it always good to retain minerals and make sure they are in your name(s)…do as much research as you can on your own…then once you have the necessary supporting documents contact a good oil and gas attorney…there should be plenty of them in Brazoria County…

Texasfile and County Records are both fairly inexpensive ways to do title searches for the interests…start with your Mother’s will if it was probated…then do a search in her name to see how she obtained the minerals (you may already know this)…get as many supporting documents as you can…

1 Like

Thank you so much for this advice. It’s very helpful. I do have the deed in my mother’s name so it sounds like the next step is to have it transferred to me. Is this a probate issue at this point? If so can some one recommend a good oil and gas attorney in Brazoria County? To complicate matters I live out of state.

The directories tab above has several good Texas attorneys. They do not have to be in the same county as the minerals,.

1 Like

I have used Eric Camp out of Ft Worth Texas and been very happy with the results. I have also spoken with Wade Caldwell, I was very impressed with his work ethic and his replies. I would choose either one for my needs at any time. Unfortunately, Wade was unable to help me with a few things due to a conflict of interest. Both are listed above in the directories section. MK

Thanks so much for this advice. Very helpful.