Mineral rights HELP!

I recently received a letter from the county assessor in Montague county saying that I owe taxes on royalties I've never collected from EOG. I haven't lived in Texas in years and I currently reside in Iowa. I was unaware that I owned any mineral rights in this county or that they had been leased for that matter. It's not much but if I'm being forced to pay taxes on the royalties and claim that income I would have like to have gotten it. Can anyone help me figure out where or how to get information on my ownership of these mineral rights? I've tried calling and e-mailing EOG but that seems to be going no where because no one answers any phones, returns any messages, or replies to e-mail. Guess I'll keep trying to call for now!

EDITED - Not the place to solicit business

Check the Texas Unclaimed Property Fund online. It is easy to do searches. Also, if your statement has a legal description, look at the video tutorial on the home page on how to navigate the RRC website to get production info. Formal letters sent certified mail get more attention than emails and phone calls.

This is nothing unusual. I know of many people in Montague Co who received tax statements but they never have receieved any money. Many are EOGs leases. My family has about 200 acres near Salona and we have over 40 heirs. Some have received some money and many have not received anything except a tax statement.

We have tree wells on this lease and they have been in production since Mar 2011. I think we will get our money and they may even pay interest but I don't know when.

James O'Sullivan said:

I am an attorney and independent landman working in the Montague/Wise County area and I would be happy to assist you. Feel free to email me at james@theosullivanlawoffice.com.