Mineral rights great aunt Helen

I recently was notified that I inherited mineral rights from a great aunt in Tyler, Wetzel, and Harrison county but not certain what percentage of property royalties have been conveyed? The wording in deed is “1/6th interest in a 1/2 undivided interest in the gas and oil rents and royalties”. Now if the property in question is 40 acres, what percentage of property did my aunt receive royalties for?

Often it is difficult to determine the exact percentage or acreage from a deed or probate order. Often these do not account for other interests. If my math is correct, you inherited 1/12th of the 40 acre interest from Aunt Helen. That would be 3.333… acres. You must also look to any existing leases and/or pooling orders to determine % of royalties being paid. I suggest working with a landman. It is also a good idea to learn as much as possible. Click image above, it has great resources.

This post is not legal, tax or investment advice. Reading or responding to this post does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Thank you for your response. That is what i figured. The person who sold to my aunt owned 1/2 the mineral rights to property. My confusion lies when dealing in multiple fractional interest conveyed. I have read that 1/6th interest in a 1/2 undivided interest meant 1/6th royalties in the entire 40 acres due to fact that it is an undivided property (the 1/2 undivided interest referring to the acreage)so it is not multiplied (1/6x1/2) but i guess I misinterpreted the info?

Jim, you most likely have made the correct interpretation. If you want a further definition of the interest, I would encourage you to have a professional do a complete document review. Many older documents prepared by less sophisticated professionals can include conflicting terms that may change your interpretation.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.