Mineral rights for lease in Teton and Garfield counties MT

I am part owner of the mineral rights in Teton county near Choteau ( approx 60 acres, 160 total. ) and another parcel near Jordan ( approx 320 acres. 860 total ) I’ve known of these holdings for almost 50 years. I double checked the courthouses this summer. I live in OR. I have these holdings advertised. Every once in awhile there is some interest shown. Lately quite a bit of interest. Since there is no activity, that usually ends the conversation. The last leaser was EXXON in the mid 70’s. At that time it was leased for $1 an acre. If I get an offer, I don’t know the first thing about how to proceed. Not sure the worth. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gordon:

You can check the State Mineral Auction site by googling "Montana Mineral Management". There was an auction on 9/7/11 (results not yet shown) and on other dates in 2011. Looking at the auction on 6/7/11, it appears the bonus amounts went from $6 to $110 per acre in Teton County. You didn't state your Township/Range/Section in your post but it appears there is a big differece in the bonus amounts depending on where your minerals are located. Also, this site will give the names of the successful bidders so this info might give you some contacts. It appears all bidders are probably brokers which are leasing for other companies. Hope this bit of information is helpful.

Mr. Mallory is correct. Bonus rates vary greatly depending upon exactly where your minerals are located. There is some activity in both counties mentioned. However what you might be offered comes back to location, location, location.

I've leased some in southern Garfield County this past year. The bonus was just $30 per acre with 3/16th royalty. Even that took some effort as their starting offers are at $10 to $15 an acre with 1/8th. For now, what I've observed is leasing interest (even at these low rates), and limited drilling activity, seems to be focused in the SW corner and along the southern edge of the county.

So your minerals "near Jordan" might be of interest if they're located south or southwest of town. If the new drilling produces oil then the play may extend farther north and east into the county. A few good wells should also increase the lease bonus rates being offered. Good luck!

Thank you both so much. It gives me some ideas and a new avenue to do some research. The Garfield County parcel is TS 16N Range 40E, section 12 and part of section 14.

The Teton one is TS25N Range 3W section 14

I know for certain there is at least one capped well in the neighborhood of the Teton parcel. The USGS has known of oil in the Garfield one at about 5K feet for 100 years. I'm getting older and would like to see some action.

If I’ve learned one thing in the almost 50 years I’ve been watching this, it’s that you don’t go to them. They come to you. The mineral management site is for state lands. I assume that if the winners of the auction have your land in their scheme ( in the area of their interest ) you would be contacted. The state lands auctioned on Sept. 7th are very close in Teton County. Nothing in Garfield county. Very interesting and certainly worth watching.

Gordon:

Check to make sure these are the correct Townships/Ranges/Sections. Looking at my map, these appear to be in Nebraska.

Gordon D.Garrett said:

Thank you both so much. It gives me some ideas and a new avenue to do some research. The Garfield County parcel is TS 16N Range 40E, section 12 and part of section 14.

I know for certain there is at least one capped well in the neighborhood of the Teton parcel. The USGS has known of oil in the Garfield one at about 5K feet for 100 years. I'm getting older and would like to see some action.

lol That’s what my old leases say.

Gordon:

If you want to view the wells in any Township/Range/Section follow these steps: 1. Google "Million Dollar Way"

2. Scroll down until you see "Eser" in the right hand column 3. Click on "Eser" 4. Enter you Township/Range/Section description in the blank space on top of page 5. A map will appear w/ that area 6. Move mouse over green, red dots and this will identify the wells. Hope this might help in the future.

Gordon D.Garrett said:

lol That's what my old leases say.

Charles, the Township & Ranges Gordon listed would correspond with Montana legal descriptions. His Garfield County interest is roughly 15 miles southeast of Jordan, MT, and slightly north of Cohagen.

Based solely upon what I've leased, and not leased, his interest is slightly to the north, and to the east, of the area currently "in play" for leasing (however at $30 per acre, can you really say it is "in play"?). Though there certainly could be leasing activity in his township which I'm not aware of. FYI; at the moment the nearest drilling permit I'm aware of is over in T14N - R37E, and a few other permits are to the south and west of that.

charles s mallory said:

Gordon:

Check to make sure these are the correct Townships/Ranges/Sections. Looking at my map, these appear to be in Nebraska.

Gordon D.Garrett said:

Must be my mistake as I was looking at the Eser site while doing several other things at the same time. I’m not as young as I used to be for multi-tasking! HA!

Eastern MT said:

Charles, the Township & Ranges Gordon listed would correspond with Montana legal descriptions. His Garfield County interest is roughly 15 miles southeast of Jordan, MT, and slightly north of Cohagen.

Based solely upon what I've leased, and not leased, his interest is slightly to the north, and to the east, of the area currently "in play" for leasing (however at $30 per acre, can you really say it is "in play"?). Though there certainly could be leasing activity in his township which I'm not aware of. FYI; at the moment the nearest drilling permit I'm aware of is over in T14N - R37E, and a few other permits are to the south and west of that.

charles s mallory said:

Gordon:

Gordon D.Garrett said:

Thanks again. At least now I don’t feel alone. Wishing the rights were in the middle of the Bakken, but oh well. Getting closer all the time. Hope I live long enough. lol

Gordon:

My rights are in the central area of the Bakken but still no well on the acreage. I've been leasing since 2004 but things are heating up in both my areas which is in Williams County, ND and Roosevelt/Sheridan Counties in Montana. The way this drilling is going, you may get drilled on before I do. Let's hope both of us has luck in the next few years.

Gordon D.Garrett said:

Thanks again. At least now I don't feel alone. Wishing the rights were in the middle of the Bakken, but oh well. Getting closer all the time. Hope I live long enough. lol

Let's not forget the horrific attack on our country almost exactly 10 years ago as I type this. The 3,000 men, women and children who died that day did nothing but show up where they were supposed to be.

GOD BLESS AMERICA !!

AMEN Wes.

You know, I put this in ten different places. You’re the only one who replied. It’s very sad, how short people’s memories are. So sad. Or, is it that they just don’t care? : (

Gordon D.Garrett said:

AMEN Wes.

Good Americans who love this country care. Sometimes I think we’re in the minority. What a shame.

The film of those folks jumping out of the towers ought to be required viewing every day for all the whiners and apologists for Islam.

I guess I need some tutering. Couldn’t get much out of the Eser thing.

Gordon,

I agree on that. Of course, the ones who don't care still wouldn't care. : (

Wes

Gordon,

Eser??

Wes