Mineral Rights and Surface Lease

Does anyone have an idea of who a person might contact who wants to lease property. I have 200,000 acres in EFS area (Gonzales Co.) and decided that it is time to make a move, but not sure how to go about it. I have ZERO knowledge and at this point bought the directory and emailed all the exploration companies a brief description and surface map. Any insight or suggestions are appreciated.

Christine:

I am not familiar with the area you refer to but generally, they will find you if your area is active in regards to oil and gas exploration. I say this especially if you have 200,000 acres which is a very large spread of land. Make sure that your information is properly recorded at the County Clerk's office.

One of the wealthiest families in Texas as well as the USA owns 300,000 acres in Texas. They have armies of lawyers, accountants, they own banks, and much more. I think you have made a typographical error. If not, then I am having a senior moment.

In addition to Ron's comment, it sounds like you own surface and not minerals. Could that be the case?

In all honesty I have been given a map and 58 pages of additional information regarding the land and don't understand any of this. Again, I have ZERO experience when it comes to oilfield or any of this. The paperwork shows 80 Thousand (not typo) consecutive acres, then the remainder is scattered from north to south of county. I am TOLD the total acreage is 200 Thousand. I have all sorts of documents and the property has been handed to me and I am being told to "see what I can do" by the owners. I personally am not the owner. I should have clarified that and did not. Perhaps I have chosen the wrong venue to help this person.?

Christine,

You have come to a place where people can hopefully point you in the right direction. As Ron pointed out, this is almost an impossibly large amount of land in arguably the biggest play in the country to be unleased at this stage of the game. Unless the land owner's interest is .0001 of the 200,000 acres, you need a team of help (attorneys, landmen, etc.). If they own a good portion or all of the minerals here, you are in the hundreds of millions of dollars very quickly. You need help and lots of it. You may want to reach out to Ben Elmore (attorney on this site) , or Buddy Cotton (respected, experienced landman on here) or I would be happy to help you if you could give me more details (I am also a landman). But my advice is to seek good help and not be afraid to pay for it. If this owner really has a good percentage of 200,000 mineral acres in the EFS, whatever you spend on good help will be VERY worth it in the end.

Christine:

As Mr. Hefner asked earlier, are you sure that this acreage contains mineral rights. This is an unusual amount of acreage even for Texas. As I stated earlier, it's hard to believe that the owner has not been contacted about a mineral lease being that the property would most likely be in the Eagle Ford Shale play. I would suggest that you do some serious research into what is owned in regards to minerals and go from there.

Christine Summers said:

In all honesty I have been given a map and 58 pages of additional information regarding the land and don't understand any of this. Again, I have ZERO experience when it comes to oilfield or any of this. The paperwork shows 80 Thousand (not typo) consecutive acres, then the remainder is scattered from north to south of county. I am TOLD the total acreage is 200 Thousand. I have all sorts of documents and the property has been handed to me and I am being told to "see what I can do" by the owners. I personally am not the owner. I should have clarified that and did not. Perhaps I have chosen the wrong venue to help this person.?

Christine,

First of all, I hope that you have not paid these "owners" of over 312 square miles any money for the right to represent them in any way. Honestly, I see a big red flag that says SCAM. The largest landholders in the state of Texas as well as
the United States are multi-billionaires, and such huge estates have mostly been passed down through generations, with a few exceptions (i.e. Ted Turner). Such surface land or minerals would comprise one of the largest land or mineral estates in the USA, certainly in the top 50 or so. Are these so called owners residents of another country, if I may ask? I am truly only trying to help you, as are the others on this list. Good luck and keep us posted.

I have not paid anyone anything. I am a local resident and my job is housing projects. I design and build man camps and state of the art RV Parks and I provide rig housing at the rig sights. I am just a familliar honest face locally and to some of these companies that I do business with, sometimes I am asked to do different things. That is why I started asking around and trying to get more information because this is not my forte' . I truly appreciate any and all feedback and opinions as I never want to jeapordize my integrity as a local businesswoman. Thanks!!

Ron Hicks said:

Christine,

First of all, I hope that you have not paid these "owners" of over 312 square miles any money for the right to represent them in any way. Honestly, I see a big red flag that says SCAM. The largest landholders in the state of Texas as well as
the United States are multi-billionaires, and such huge estates have mostly been passed down through generations, with a few exceptions (i.e. Ted Turner). Such surface land or minerals would comprise one of the largest land or mineral estates in the USA, certainly in the top 50 or so. Are these so called owners residents of another country, if I may ask? I am truly only trying to help you, as are the others on this list. Good luck and keep us posted.

As others have said, that is an incredible amount of acreage to have not been leased yet. I've assisted other mineral owners in Gonzales County with leases, and would be very surprised if the folks you are representing own the minerals, but stranger things have happened. I sent you a friend request.

Gonzales County is just over 1,000 square miles and when someone has over 300 of those, all I can say is "wow".

With as much action that's been going on in that area, I too am amazed that there is that much unleased land in the county.