Mineral rights and operating interest

I saw a post from Mary Gibson who mentioned my father’s name. Charles Root was my father and my sister and I inherited a few acres of mineral rights in the area. One place near Coleman ranch had never produced and being naive, we were talked into agreeing to having an operating interest. We really didn’t know what that meant and didn’t think we had a choice. The company was called Martineau and at first it was costing about $40 a month which we weren’t happy about. Then about 2 years ago they sold out to a company in their same building called SWJN. The cost is now averaging almost $400 a month and we can’t handle it. We have asked for an audit but they have ignored it. Has anyone else had dealings with them or know how we can get out of it? Thanks. Judy Hubbard

Dear Judy,

To get "intelligent" help to your open-ended questions, you have to provide details ... details ... details. And, being naive is not a good substitute for signing something you know nothing about.

When in doubt, ask questions and/or hire a lawyer.

Thank you.

Pat

Hi, Judy -

Pat is right, you should have had an Attorney look everything over before signing anything. Depending upon where the lands are, I may have an Attorney or two to suggest you contact.

In the meantime, what is the full name and address for each of the companies? I want to do a little research on them for you.

Oh, and I've never heard of any Working Interest Partner not being allowed to perform an outside audit. You will need to send your own people in and usually during regular business hours only, but they can't deny you an audit. Just ask the State Regulatory Agency for Oil and Gas or the State's Attorney General's Office.

Hope this helps -

Charles

Charles Emery Tooke III

Certified Professional Landman

Fort Worth, Texas

Charles, Do you know anything about Haymaker Mineral and Royalties out of Houston? They are wanting to buy some of our minerals. Thanks…

Dear Linda,
According to Harris County Appraisal District, these dudes (Haymaker) own some expensive inside-the-loop real estate, one partial being my bank, i.e., IBC on 5615 Kirby Dr. 77005 (the old University State Bank / in my neighborhood where I grew up)
They have an official website ... Just "google" Haymaker Mineral and Royalties or access Linkedin to see their pics.
Thank you.
Pat

Charles, Thanks for your reply. We have been trying to find a lawyer but one did t know oil, another quit replying , and anyone we used to go to for advice is dead or retired. SWJN oil company is at 4925 Greenville Ave. suite 550, Dallas, Texas. The previous company, Martineau, is in the same building. Any lawyers that someone can recommend would be welcome.

Linda -

I am not personally familiar with Haymaker Mineral and Royalties, but as Pat has pointed out they appear to be at least putting forth an effort towards legitimacy.

The questions you should be addressing are whether you really need to sell your minerals (or any part of them) and, if so, then is their offer the best one you can get?

My advice to everyone is to never sell your minerals. For most people, they didn't cost you anything and only stand to bring you money, perhaps time and again, over the years.

If you have a reason, however, such as kids hitting college, a family medical emergency or retirement plans, then certainly those circumstances may dictate. The effort at that point should be to make sure you are getting the best price for your minerals.

If you are in a position where you need to consider offers, I can introduce you to a few other companies and perhaps even an individual or two who may be willing to offer you competitive bids for your minerals.

Hope this helps -

Charles

Judy -

You are in Abilene, the Operating Company(ies) are in Dallas, but is the subject property?

Do you have the legal description of the lands and the name(s) of the well(s)?

If you would prefer discussing such matters in private, accept my offer of Friendship on The Forum and you can send me the data that way.

Charles

Linda -

If you want to discuss your situation privately as well, then please accept my invitation to become a Friend on The Forum. We can communicate more privately that way.

Charles

Charles Emery Tooke III said:

Linda -

I am not personally familiar with Haymaker Mineral and Royalties, but as Pat has pointed out they appear to be at least putting forth an effort towards legitimacy.

The questions you should be addressing are whether you really need to sell your minerals (or any part of them) and, if so, then is their offer the best one you can get?

My advice to everyone is to never sell your minerals. For most people, they didn't cost you anything and only stand to bring you money, perhaps time and again, over the years.

If you have a reason, however, such as kids hitting college, a family medical emergency or retirement plans, then certainly those circumstances may dictate. The effort at that point should be to make sure you are getting the best price for your minerals.

If you are in a position where you need to consider offers, I can introduce you to a few other companies and perhaps even an individual or two who may be willing to offer you competitive bids for your minerals.

Hope this helps -

Charles

Charles, Thanks. I will attempt to find the friend site to reply. Afraid this technology is a stretch for my generation.

Charles, Well, don’t find where I’m suppose to be friends :slight_smile: so I’ll just post it here. The property in question is in Mitchell co. NE/4 NE/4 sec 78 blk 97, sec 79 blk 97. Coleman ranch C and Coleman ranch B Don’t know if this helps.

Just saw your post with the legals. Assume that is Mitchell Co, Texas.

That will help me narrow down the area, but I may need a metes and bounds description.

Little League Championship is on. Will be cheering on Chicago the rest of today!

Obvious we need a good lawyer. Any referrals in abilene who would know about oil in Mitchell county?

Ms. Hubbard, if you were to click on Mr. Tooke's avatar where his picture would go, it will take you to his home page and below his avatar on his home page will be a small letter symbol, signifying private message. If you click on that small letter symbol, you will be informed that you must be friends to send a private message and it will invite you to send a friend request. It will also allow you to send a brief message. It take 2 seconds to do, 2 minutes to write how to do it. I hope this helps.

Thank you!!!

Judy -

I have asked around about O&G Attorneys in Abilene and will let you know if anyone come up with a name.

In the meantime, I have had two Attorneys that I know ask me to pass along their contact information to you. They will be happy to discuss your situation with you and suggest some avenues of approach.

Loren Nauss mentioned that you won't really need an Attorney in Abilene / Mitchell County unless you end up in Court and I don't see Martineau or SWJN wanting to go there.

Lisa Vaughn Lumley, Esq

Shannon, Gracey, Ratliff and Miller

Fort Worth, Texas

LVaughn@shannongracey.com
C: 817-771-5777
O: 817-877-8160

Loren "Larry" Nauss, Esq

Jones, Gill LLC

Houston, Texas

lnauss@jonesgill.com

713-652-4068 O

281-796-7057 C