Mineral Rights and Drilling question

can anyone give me any help. I have been getting calls with offers to purchase my mineral rights. They explained to me that permits are already being pulled for drilling on my tracts. The only info I have is that my parcel is located in Converse County. The tracts are:

NE, SW, and NW of Section 27-36N-71W NW of Section 20-36N-71W

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

1. Chesapeake has at least one great well in the township right below you (a few miles south). Devon has had very good wells to the north… you do the math.

2. Not sure what “pulled” permits means - in Wyoming, there is a race to file permits because in Wyoming being first to file gives you control of a drilling unit … even if that same operator does not have enough acreage leased in the unit to make drilling economic. This results in tons of permits being filed, but they’re not the same kind of promising indicator that they are in other states. It’s a very inefficient policy and the legislature is working to change it.

3. This bears watching. Federal judge halts drilling in Wyoming over climate concerns | The Seattle Times

Thanks for the helpful input. I’ll keep an eye on the judges ruling

Is there any agency or company that I can contact to find out about activity on my tracts?

The Wyoming oil and Gas Commission site lets you see what permits are filed and their status. If you go to the site (http://wogcc.wyo.gov/) and click on the data header then wells then By 9 section area, it should let you input the legal of your minerals and show who has applied for permits and the status. Anschutz has numerous permits filed in sec 20 with one approved and Anadarko had filed permits in sec 27 but appears to have withdrawn theirs.

Last August my family leased our mineral rights in Converse County for four years with a signing bonus of $5100 per acre and royalties of 18.75% on anything they drill. Subsequently we’ve been offered $10,000 more per acre to outright sell our mineral rights…

What was the process. We’re you contacted by phone, email, or letter. The company who contacted me we’re not interested in anything but buying the out right mineral rights. No negotiating. They called me but they weren’t affiliated with the oil company. They were a firm out of Denver

Can anyone help me determine a map or see a map for Sections 20 and 27, both 36N and 71W.

Thanks for any help

Does a well have to be drilled on your exact section, township, and range to benefit from royalties?

If the well is vertical, your minerals must be in the spacing of the reservoir for the well to get royalties.
If the well is horizontal, then your minerals must also be in the spacing of the reservoir, but they will be larger. The surface location might be several thousand feet away from your minerals in another section or abstract, but the minerals must be included in the well drainage area to get royalties.

Thank you Ms. Barnes. Where do different mineral rights purchase companies get my name and contact info. They aren’t very forthcoming but very aggressive. Trying to make a good decision

They get your name from the county courthouse, various subscription services that they access to, ancestry.com. etc.

There is a vast network of mineral buyers out there that are buying up family minerals and selling to bigger companies to flip and turn into royalty companies on Wall Street. They can be pretty aggressive. If you do not want to sell and hang onto royalties for yourself or the next generation, ignore them. I went to a very interesting conference put on by those buyers in Houston. Quite enlightening and a bit concerning from the mineral owner point of view.

Sections 20 and 27 of 36N 71W are in arguably the best location of the entire basin. Be very, very selective in any decision you make divesting your minerals here. They are very valuable.

The map below shows 36N 71W and you can see Sect. 20 & 27 fully permitted by Anschutz. More importantly, there is a producing horizontal Turner well (green stick highlighted red) that was recently drilled that has produced over 342,000 barrels of oil by itself in a very short time. They will likely be able to drill 3-4 of these wells per section once they fully develop their acreage. That means a heck of a lot of oil is in the ground on you mineral tracts. Once you fold the Niobrara, Mowry and possible Shannon and Parkman in, the reserves get quite large as does the value.

You are likely going to get your door knocked down with people trying to buy these minerals from you. The best advice I can give you is be patient. Very patient. This acreage will only get more valuable.

I hope this information helps, Craig

Thanks so much for the help. I recently got a copy of my mineral did and I was told wrong. My sections are 17 & 20, not 27. Does that make a difference? Take care