Mineral Right Valuations in Platte County Wyoming - Chugwater Area

There has been a LOT of recent activity on mineral right leases in my area, Chugwater. Two years ago many leases were signed at $15-20 an acre, a month ago I was hearing of a lot of them in the $200/acre range, just recently I've been hearing $400. Any ideas on where this will stop? or how long it will go on for? Is the oil boom REALLY coming here? Or is this just a lot of expensive jockeying for position? I own minerals on nearly ten thousand acres so this is of great interest to myself, while I don't want to "miss the boat", I also do not care to sign now if this is going to keep rising. I read of rates of 3,000 per acre in east Texas and western Lousiana, is this even a possibility here ?? Thanks to all who offer their knowledge ! First post here, sorry if something is not done as it should be.

John,

Mr. Preston’s comments are spot on, and while it is still early in the evolution of the horizontal Niobrara, there are certainly reasons to draw parallels to the Bakken play in the Williston Basin in particular. Over the past few years, lease prices in the public forums (State of North Dakota and BLM sales) have gone through the roof, with isolated parcels (partial mineral interests under lands that are proximal to existing production) have exceeded $10,000 per net mineral acre. Recent prices for lands under which the State of Wyoming owns the minerals, all of which are shown on the website for the Office of State Lands and Investments for the State, have topped $3,000 per net mineral acre. Before you start counting the windfall, however, you should understand that a key determinant in the valuation of your interests is the geological analysis that is being made by the many different parties now acquiring interests in the play. The thing that makes this play attractive to oil and gas companies is the certainty that the Niobrara (and other source rock intervals) is present. HOWEVER, no one can state with any certainty that the minerals attributable to your property are going to be economically viable without actually drilling wells. A lot of parties are buying leases to speculate that prices, as they did in the Williston Basin and other areas around the country, will continue to increase and that they will be able to sell the leases for a nice fat profit. The leading operators in the play — EOG, Noble, Continental, Slawson, Anschutz, Anadarko and a few others — have specific areas that they are targeting based on a few key factors: (a) proximity to strong shows in the Niobrara and other zones as evidenced by production from vertical wells on or near to a property; (b) subsurface data from wells on or near a property which indicates that the Niobrara is sufficiently charged with hydrocarbons and also under sufficient pressure to be economically productive; © well data that shows that there are sufficient microfractures in the Niobrara reservoir interval to be able for a well to be stmulated with the latest in completion technologies — the multi-stage frac — which creates sizeable conduits for the hydrocarbons to get to the wellbore; (d) seismic or other data which indicates that an area may be subject to subtle features in the basement that might enhance the presence of natural fractures/microfractures as an indicator of possible reservoir quality rock; and (e) some combination of one or more of these factors. Each company has a staff utilizing different evaluation methodologies and the result is that different groups wind up focusing on different project areas within the broader basin and project area. The areas that are going to receive the highest lease bonus prices are the areas that have the best geological indicators, as well as the most competition for lease acquisition.

One of the things that I have experienced in the Williston Basin is that the best operators are not paying the most (and are usually closest to the least) initial bonuses for leases…they rely largely on word of mouth about the quality of their drilling and completion efforts to sell mineral owners on the notion that they are the preferred alternative in maximizing the value of the minerals by maximizing the value of the royalty derived from actual production. My experience is that this premise is correct — where economically viable production is found, the mineral owner usually receives multiples of the original bonus payments in royalties from production.

A few words about this concept of “economic viability” when viewed from an operator’s perspective: these wells are very expensive to drill and complete, and the profitability of any well is most often a function (a) of keeping lease acquisition costs down; (b) of keeping drilling costs down; © of keeping completion costs down; and (d) maximizing the production rate so that the revenues from the sales of production attributable to a well recoup the total investment for the well in the least period of time — the Bakken rule of thumb is 24 to 30 months, for example. Noble has published data to show that a typically drilled and completed horizontal well with a 4,000’-4,500’ lateral under a 640 acre spacing unit in the Colorado portion of the DJ Basin will average approximately 290,000 barrels of oil based on a total well cost of approximately $3,500,000.00, excluding the cost of the lease(s), so recoupment of the investment at the earliest possible date is critical for a company deploying these amounts of capital.

If you want to do something proactive to attempt to promote either leasing or other activity to derive the greatest value, you can either hire someone to compile the geologic data necessary to validate the value of your minerals, or attempt to find someone or some smaller company to assist you in marketing/developing your mineral interest. Of course, if their offer is right, I suppose it doesn’t matter how you derive value for your asset!

If you want to take some capital out of the perceived current value of your minerals, don’t be afraid to see if you can get a group to do a hydrid deal, where you receive some money up-front and a later payment based on different performance parameters. I applaud your effort to get better informed and wish you good luck with your acreage!

jbbyrd

As to the landman idea John, I don’t have anything negative to say about the experience we had with ours. Of course we had to pay him, but it was worth it. He had so much more “pull” with the broker and operator than we would have had as individuals. For instance, other people that had signed leases with the same company months prior to us signing, got paid at about the same time as us. Granted, with as much land as you have, you may get preferential treatment on your own. If you’re interested, I can give you John Geyer’s number.

John Ranchowner said:

Thanks Jim and Ted for your replies. I had already considered a lot of the points both of you raised and a I also learned a lot from you comments as well.

For the time being I am going to just sit tight and see where things shake out over time. Recent leases have gone in ranges of $850 to $3,500 an acre. These figures comes from what I consider reliable sources, namely the owner’s of the leased mineral rights themselves. Both for sizable acreages, ie. in the thousands of acres. One well that I’m aware of to the east of here is reportedly free flowing (no pump) 600+ barrels a day.

Anyone out there recommend hiring an independent landman to represent owner interests in the leasing process? I’ve read with interest some of the posts by Lisa regarding this very aspect of the leasing process in Weld County, CO. Seems that it is a very viable option for the owner of mineral rights. Any drawbacks to this that are not apparent???

Thanks for past and future comments! I will continue to monitor the discussions on this site. VERY INTERESTING !!!

Was the 600 barrel per day well on top of the rim by the county line?

John,

Interesting to read Lisa’s recommendation of John Geyer to help you lease your minerals. We are ranchers in Converse Co. and also used John to negotiate a OIl and Gas lease a couple of years ago. Very knowledgeable, honest fellow. I do think he added value to our transaction. I would be happy to visit about it with you offline or provide John’s contact info. Good luck.

Lisa said:

As to the landman idea John, I don’t have anything negative to say about the experience we had with ours. Of course we had to pay him, but it was worth it. He had so much more “pull” with the broker and operator than we would have had as individuals. For instance, other people that had signed leases with the same company months prior to us signing, got paid at about the same time as us. Granted, with as much land as you have, you may get preferential treatment on your own. If you’re interested, I can give you John Geyer’s number.

John Ranchowner said:
Thanks Jim and Ted for your replies. I had already considered a lot of the points both of you raised and a I also learned a lot from you comments as well.

For the time being I am going to just sit tight and see where things shake out over time. Recent leases have gone in ranges of $850 to $3,500 an acre. These figures comes from what I consider reliable sources, namely the owner’s of the leased mineral rights themselves. Both for sizable acreages, ie. in the thousands of acres. One well that I’m aware of to the east of here is reportedly free flowing (no pump) 600+ barrels a day.

Anyone out there recommend hiring an independent landman to represent owner interests in the leasing process? I’ve read with interest some of the posts by Lisa regarding this very aspect of the leasing process in Weld County, CO. Seems that it is a very viable option for the owner of mineral rights. Any drawbacks to this that are not apparent???

Thanks for past and future comments! I will continue to monitor the discussions on this site. VERY INTERESTING !!!

Hi John My Grandfather, Mother, Uncle and two great Aunts were homesteaders in Wyoming. We(Myself, My broher and Sister and three cousins) own land about 7 miles outside of Chugwater. But we all live outside of Wyoming now. I discovered the Mineral Rights Forum surfing the net. Thank You for your insights and I hope I can learn more about what is going on in this are. thanks - James lynxjimbo444@yahoo.com

Thanksfor the info: anyone having info about the 2 miles so of chugwater would most helpful, contact steve @ westmiller1@cox.net or 620- 770 -9777 {cell},