Mineral Owner Liability

Has there ever been an instance where the mineral rights owner was named in a lawsuit in regards to a drilling or production operation on a lease? This could be from an accident on the rig during drilling to pollution violations by an operator of a lease. I know this sounds crazy but this day and time, seems like the most unlikely parties are named in a lawsuit.

Technically, the mineral owner could be held liable for spills etc. but it's very uncommon. They (the government) usually go after whoever has the most money, and that's usually the lessee or operator. Additionally most oil companies don't want to have their mineral owners sued in a lawsuit as it's bad for business.

Hope this helps you out.
Frederick M. Scott CMM RPL
Timbercreek Mineral Company, LLC
http://www.mineralhub.com

Mr. Scott:

I tend to agree with your thinking about this matter. In general, the state agency over oil and gas or the federal agency (EPA) will normally deal directly with the operator. Also, the surface generally deals with the operator for surface damages due to spills, etc. which might occur during the drilling process. My point was that this day and time, it appears that more and more individuals are being pulled into lawsuits. I just hope that the burden remains on the operator. Thanks for your input!

PLEASE FOLKS!! I understand the excitement of your possible windfall of "found money" and I realize all the freedoms and possibilities that may be provided to you by these, but before you make YOUR decision please watch the documentary "Gas Land"..…

Thank You

Steve,

Quit drinking the kool-aid and stop trying to sell it here. Gasland is a load of BS and if you believe that crap you might as well assume Oliver Stone is a historian and not a film maker. The facts in Gasland have been completely refuted by several government organizations. See here for the response from the COGCC:

http://cogcc.state.co.us/library/GASLAND%20DOC.pdf

If you want to sell that hippie propaganda, I suggest you grab your banjo and hop in a VW bus en route to San Fran. The people here are hard working Americans that want to see their energy produced, purchased and used from and in the USA. Isn't that better than giving it to the America hating countries to the east?

If anyone is concerned about their water, add a water well testing provision to your lease. If you don't trust the operator, call the COGCC. They will test it for you for free. Yes...free!

In closing, I would like to say God bless the USA which is the ONLY country in the world that minerals can be owned by private everyday Joes like you and me. That's a fact.

Steve said:

PLEASE FOLKS!! I understand the excitement of your possible windfall of "found money" and I realize all the freedoms and possibilities that may be provided to you by these, but before you make YOUR decision please watch the documentary "Gas Land"..…

Thank You

sure, add the water testing and if you find out that your,, and possibly your neighbors water has been ruined, well, then it's to late..... I personally thought Gas Land was a very well done documentary, and I am sure that those cases of peoples lives being ruined either from sickness, water issues, air quality are few and far between, but IMO,, one case is too many, so I say get rid of the Halliburton loop hole, expose to everyone the exact content in that fracking juice, regulate the process and protect the people, wildlife and land around these wells. I respect your land owners rights and we need alternative sources of energy and our tremendous wealth of natural gas is great, but let's do this right, profits are great but not at the expense of people, wildlife and the environment......... so while I am on my way to San Francisco in my VW micro bus, picking my banjo, sipping on my kool-aid and selling my hippie propaganda BS I hope that I can stop by the road in your beautiful state and take a deep breath of clean air and have a cool drink of clean water....

Thanks again

Phase Dos said:

Steve,

Quit drinking the kool-aid and stop trying to sell it here. Gasland is a load of BS and if you believe that crap you might as well assume Oliver Stone is a historian and not a film maker. The facts in Gasland have been completely refuted by several government organizations. See here for the response from the COGCC:

http://cogcc.state.co.us/library/GASLAND%20DOC.pdf

If you want to sell that hippie propaganda, I suggest you grab your banjo and hop in a VW bus en route to San Fran. The people here are hard working Americans that want to see their energy produced, purchased and used from and in the USA. Isn't that better than giving it to the America hating countries to the east?

If anyone is concerned about their water, add a water well testing provision to your lease. If you don't trust the operator, call the COGCC. They will test it for you for free. Yes...free!

In closing, I would like to say God bless the USA which is the ONLY country in the world that minerals can be owned by private everyday Joes like you and me. That's a fact.

Steve said:

Thank You

Dear Phase Dos,

Actually, in limted cases, Canada has private ownership of minerals.

Phase Dos said: