Mineral Owner Advice - East Texas

Hello, I am new to all of this.

My family has mineral rights in East Texas and a small royalty company reached out to us to purchase the rights. It is a lot of family members and I believe we all have two acres each.

The company originally sent a letter about leasing however I think they talk my family into selling. I advised them to hold off because it doesn’t feel right. From what I’ve been reading on here. Leasing is better??

cp could you share what County/Section/Block and or Abstract # the minerals are located so we can see if there is production or activity in that area. That could give you an indication of what could be happening in that area for someone to want to buy your minerals…they may know something that you don’t know.

Clint

I just want to say that I’ve been in the same situation and the first time it happened I was so very fortunate to get the advice of a wonderul attorney well versed in these issues, who explained that the royalty companies access information that a novice may not be aware that they too are entitled. The wording in the contract I was presented with divested me from current money owed me that had not yet been paid to me. He advised “NO”. Turns out, the division was about to pay out big! A rep from that royalty buying company (or whatever they’re called), called me from my home state with “a suitcase of cash”. What pressure! I told her she was not welcome and I have been so very glad !

If you’re a novice, these companies and attorneys have access to the information that YOU need. I’ve been made many offers (sometimes veiled threats if the taxes are late) and they keep increasing over the years.

Please understand, this has been my experience and the previous advice may be sound. Do your research as it will pay off!

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.