Mineral Lease Newbie asking for Info

I have rec’d a letter and a phone call about leasing the mineral rights on 10 acres that my late husband has in Stark Co. I’m in Calif so it’s not like I can run down to the County Courthouse and find out info. So, I would like to ask you all, what is going on? I believe he leased it once before, about 25 yrs ago, but I think it was a one time payment thing. How do I go about finding out where these acres are; how do I get it transfered to my name; how do I offer my rights for leasing if I do not want to go with the company that has just contacted me?

Thanks for your help and information!

Patti,

I can try to help some. I sent a "friend" request if you want to communicate that way, you need to accept my friend request; otherwise in here works too.

If they sent you a letter, did it mention the land description of Township/Range/Section?

With that information, it shouldn't be too difficult to find his Mineral Deed. Is there still other family members of your late husband, within the area that may have leased?

Good Luck,

Susan

Here is how Blanca Peak Energy operates:

http://ipr.interlochen.org/ipr-news-features/episode/12808

Hey Susan,

The section mentioned in the letter is: 3-137N-97W. I don't know of any family members left living in the area. I appreciate any help you can offer!
Snues said:

Patti,

I can try to help some. I sent a "friend" request if you want to communicate that way, you need to accept my friend request; otherwise in here works too.

If they sent you a letter, did it mention the land description of Township/Range/Section?

With that information, it shouldn't be too difficult to find his Mineral Deed. Is there still other family members of your late husband, within the area that may have leased?

Good Luck,

Susan

Hi Patti,

Along with your T/R/S of 3-137n-97w, was there a further description such as NE4 or Lot 3 or SW4NW4 ? If you can be more specific I can possibly find a match as to anyone else with that mineral land.

I found that 3 companies are leasing in that T/R/S Chesapeake Exploration, Cody Oil & Gas, and Empire Oil.

I will post the names of the listed Mineral Owners in a private message, to preserve their names from being public here. Let me know if any have familiarity.

Sorry of the delay in answering, we had to run an errand, but i'll be in the rest of tonight.

Susan

You will need to have the mineral rights deed. If they are in your late husband's name alone you will need to have them transferred, likely by an attorney. I have relatives in Oregon going through this exact scenario, their attorney recommended a North Dakota attorney and they were told it would cost around $1000. I haven't personally worked with any ND attorneys, but if you send me a private message I can give you some contacts in Dickinson, ND.

Your amount of acreage is probably not enough to get a bidding war going, but I can forward you a contact for that as well.

From personal experience, a bidding war can start over as little as 7.62 acres. On my 7,62 acres in 148 - 93 -24 I went from an offer of $100 per acre and 18% to $3000 per acre and 20% in a week, Dec last year. Be sure to get as many offers as you can and dont rush yourself.

wow, that is great to hear rw. Thanks for sharing that info with us!

Patti,

If you haven't accepted an offer, friend me and I will let you know what I have seen offers go for in Stark... If you have accepted an offer, congrats.

I have a half section (shared with 2 siblings) in 139 N 96 W, Stark county. We signed with longshot oil in 2010 for about $500/acre and 3/16 royalty, for 3 years. No drilling yet. Just found out they leased the deep well drilling rights (Bakken oil) to a Missouri company, MBI. So make sure you are paid for both!