Mineral Interests following probate

I received some papers in 2021 addressed to my late mother which passed away in 2010. The first attorney I called said I needed a probate so we went through the probate process and got all that complete. I have an order and decree for mineral interest in Grady county which was recorded in 04/2022. The oil company that has wells on the land which I have mineral rights to said that I needed to show how I acquired the mineral interest. A landman that I talked to said that he couldn’t find my name on any mineral rights and that I wasn’t the owner of them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

You need to search the Grady County Clerk’s records to find how/if your mother came into title.

Welcome to the Mineral Rights Forum:

In addition to filing the probate order with the Court Clerk, it should also be filed with County Clerk (recorder of deeds). If it was file with land records, it is possible that your name as a grantee is omitted from the index, you might ask the clerk to correct that. If it hasn’t been filed, you should file a certified copy with the land records.

Still, it may be possible that you need a probate of another ancestor.

This post is not legal, tax or investment advice. Reading or responding to this post does not create an attorney/client relationship.

You might try looking for your mom’s name or any of her relatives on www.okcountyrecords.com. It is free to look and small fee to print. It only goes back a few decades digitally, so you may need to have a landman trace her title.

Are you certain that your mother owned minerals/signed a lease? What did the papers in 2021 entail?

Mr. Martin said that he a a court decree from 2022. for mineral interest from the court! You did not read his post apparently!

I read his post correctly. His mother doesnt appear to have a lease in the section for the producing wells. A “court decree means” little to nothing if the attorney he hired wasnt experienced in oil and gas and his findings could have been wrong. Given that there were wells drilled on the property prior to 2010 that are still producing, a more experienced oil and gas title attorney did a title opinion on each well and if his mother hasnt been in pay since then, they found that she didnt own any minerals. I was just trying to help out, by asking what the papers in 2021 entailed and if she had recieved payments from 2003 forward.

MO5, apparently you don’t understand that anyone can file a deed of any kind or probate on any property any where they choose. Not one of those filings grant ownership. If Mr. Martin’s mother owns nothing then whatever is filed is a cloud on someone else’s title. That’s why I commented like I did and why Bob77 made the same comment. But Bob77, executing a lease on a property doesn’t grant title either. Neither does receiving revenue. The last 2 things only indicate that someone thinks that party owns something, nothing more. The Oil Company is only stating their title doesn’t show Mr. Matin’s mother in the chain of title. It is up to him to prove she does.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.