Mineral Interest -- what to do?

We have a mineral interest at Section 24, T3N, R9W that’s been handed down through the family for a very long time and is no doubt splintered by now into several dozen pieces. Some are people I can find, some are people I don’t even know are still alive or whether they had children or where to find said children if they exist. I’ll bet I’m not the first person to find him or herself in this quandary. My first question is whether this corner of Comanche is even worth looking into. Aviva Energy, Ltd. (“limited,” a very appropriate label) drilled on the property in 1981. They got waaay down there, then broke off their drill bit, gave up and went away. Porsche dreams up in smoke. I’m willing to pay for some advice and investigation, but only if activity in the area warrants it. Which brings me to the purpose of this post: HELP!

Jim: There has not been any activity in this section or the 8 surrounding sections since 2014. I would doubt there will be anything in the near future either. That said, make sure your personal information and your claims to the original interest are of record with the county clerk’s office. For those family members that you know, have them do the same. At this point, any of the heirs can do what they want without any of the others doing the same. You never know where the dinosaurs are hiding.

1 Like

It may be good to do an affidavit of heirship. If it becomes valuable in the future you might need a probate or quiet title.

Thanks, Richard. Sounds like lawyer-work. I’m prepared to go down that road, but first, I’m following Todd’s advice – I’ve reached out to the Comanche Co. recorder to see what they’ve got on their books. Then, depending on what I find or don’t find, I’ll take whatever next steps are indicated.

Begin with online records here: Comanche County | OKCountyRecords.com | County Clerk Public Land Records for Oklahoma

You might also search for probate records here: OSCN Docket Search

Keep in mind that online records are often limited .

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.