Mineral deed

Hi,

My family and i still have our original deed and we don't really understand it to well. I can type exactly what is written and we just need help translating it if anyone can help. So these are the parts we are confused about.

Excepting and reserving an undivided eighty-five percent (85%) interest in and to all oil, gas and other minerals unto grantor together with the right of ingress and egress for the purpose of producing the same.

It is in the intention hereof that an undivided fifteen percent (15%) interest in and to all oil, gas and other minerals be vested in grantees pursuant to this contract.

My grandfather was selling his land to his brother and we think he was reserving his mineral rights or 85 percent of it. If that is right how many minerals would that be?

Thank you that was very helpful. It sounds like how it looks but sometimes there can be things we are overlooking. I do know that my grandfather was giving the land and minerals from his mother and we have gotten all the deeds from the past. So we think there was a 100 percent at first. Thanks again

-Jessica
r w kennedy said:

I agree with you. As long as there is no other language that contradicts what you posted. How much your grandfather reserved to himself and for his heirs depends on if he had 100% ownership before the deed, half ownership with his brother or a lesser percentage if more people were involved. If he was sole owner with %100 he retained 85% mineral rights. If he and his brother already had 50% shares then he reserved 42.5%, and so on. The variables are nearly endless. Small disclaimer here. I am not an oil and gas professional. I answered your question based on information provided, to the best of my ability, because no one else had tried yet. Hope this answered your question/s RWK

You are welcome! Just idle curiosity; Do you think your grandfather and his brother drew up the document themselves and recorded it ? From what I have seen attorneys like to add about 8 to 15 different minerals, gravel, scoria, potash and so on in addition to the oil and gas. RWK

Jessica said:

Thank you that was very helpful. It sounds like how it looks but sometimes there can be things we are overlooking. I do know that my grandfather was giving the land and minerals from his mother and we have gotten all the deeds from the past. So we think there was a 100 percent at first. Thanks again

-Jessica
r w kennedy said:

I agree with you. As long as there is no other language that contradicts what you posted. How much your grandfather reserved to himself and for his heirs depends on if he had 100% ownership before the deed, half ownership with his brother or a lesser percentage if more people were involved. If he was sole owner with %100 he retained 85% mineral rights. If he and his brother already had 50% shares then he reserved 42.5%, and so on. The variables are nearly endless. Small disclaimer here. I am not an oil and gas professional. I answered your question based on information provided, to the best of my ability, because no one else had tried yet. Hope this answered your question/s RWK

it was made up by a lawyer.

r w kennedy said:
You are welcome! Just idle curiosity; Do you think your grandfather and his brother drew up the document themselves and recorded it ? From what I have seen attorneys like to add about 8 to 15 different minerals, gravel, scoria, potash and so on in addition to the oil and gas. RWK

Jessica said:

-Jessica
r w kennedy said: