Mineral Deed - Wood County, TX

My mother was left a mineral deed in her aunt's living will dated back in May of 1984. Her aunt has since passed away and to my knowledge, my mother has never done anything with this land or the legal documents. I'm looking into the process on my mother's behalf to see what needs to be done and to see if she's owed any royalties from this. My family has moved three times since the legal documents were filed (the address on the documents is not current). What do I need to do to inquire about these royalties, etc. It appears as though she was left 5 different Tracts of land at approx. 361 total acres. Any information or guidance on this process would be appreciated.

Bree Rummel

Bree:

You must first untangle the paperwork and make sure the correct mineral owner is filed with the County Clerks office. What makes you think that royalties were applicable on this mineral acreage (are you sure a well exits on this property)? Where is the property located in Wood County? I am somewhat familiar with Wood County as I worked in the oil and gas industry in the Wood County area. If you can give me a specific area, I can probably tell you what activity is occuring in the area (oil and gas). Wood County is a deversified county in regards to oil and gas. In the Hawkins, Texas area, all wells are operated by Exxon-Mobile. In the Quitman and Winnsboro area, several oilfields, mainly old production, is scattered. In the Lake Fork area (West Part Of County), various gas wells which are sour gas wells. As you can see, this county is somewhat active in oil and gas production but unfortunately, the majority of the wells are older as not much drilling has occurred over the past ten years.

Thanks, Charles. I appreciate your response. Here's what I know about the land:

Tract No. 1 - Being 42 acres of land, more or less, a part of the James Richards Survey, Abst. No. 482.

Tract No. 2 - Containing 40 acres more or less, being off the east side of Block 12 of the Maria J. Nunez Survey, A-430.

Tract No. 3 - Containing 42.5 acres, more or less, being the west one-half of Block II of the Maria J. Nunez Survey, A-430.

Tract No. 4 - Being 186.8 acres, more or less, out of the Charles White Survey

Tract No. 5 - Being 50 acres, more or less, out of and a part of the Charles White Survey, A-62.

Does this information help you to determine more specific areas in the county?

Bree:

Unfortunately, this info. is not what I need to determine the location of acreages in the county. You could contact the Railroad Commission of Texas office in Kilgore, Texas, which is the District Office for Wood County, and ask them how to identify the areas using this information. The records, which are public, are maintained in this office, but it might require someone physically looking at maps and pulling files in order to verify if any wells are on the properties. The phone number to the office is (903) 984-3026. Hope this helps.

Bree Rummel said:

Thanks, Charles. I appreciate your response. Here's what I know about the land:

Tract No. 1 - Being 42 acres of land, more or less, a part of the James Richards Survey, Abst. No. 482.

Tract No. 2 - Containing 40 acres more or less, being off the east side of Block 12 of the Maria J. Nunez Survey, A-430.

Tract No. 3 - Containing 42.5 acres, more or less, being the west one-half of Block II of the Maria J. Nunez Survey, A-430.

Tract No. 4 - Being 186.8 acres, more or less, out of the Charles White Survey

Tract No. 5 - Being 50 acres, more or less, out of and a part of the Charles White Survey, A-62.

Does this information help you to determine more specific areas in the county?

Use the RRC GIS, input Wood on the county and then the abstract numbers and it show if there are any wells.

http://www.rrc.state.tx.us/data/online/gis/index.php