McClain Mineral Owner

McClain County OK

Is there any production in this area by chance, Section 1 T5 R3 Section 36 T6 R 4

?Headington Oil? Bought or once called the prior.

Oil and gas small working interest inherited.

Welcome to the forum. I assume you mean 5N-3W and 6N-4W.

1-5N-3W. Yes there has been production. Depending upon your acreage description, you might have an active well or not. Your acreage might be in the Flint Creek Unit. Form 1000 is a permit, 1002A is completion and 1003 is plug and abandon. You can scroll through the wells and find operator changes-Form 1073.

https://imaging.occ.ok.gov/imaging/OGWellRecords.aspx

If you just inherited, make sure that your name and address and title documents are properly filed in the county courthouse of McClain. If you are also part of the Cherokee tribe, check with their mineral affairs group and see what you need to do with them to have clear title. You may have to deal with the Bureau of Indian affairs as well. An additional layer of complication.

36-6N-4W Definitely Stay on top of this one. You have several potential horizontal wells here. Use the magnifying glass in the upper right corner and type in Whetstone to follow that topic area. BIA may be involved in this one as well.

Type in 3606N04W in the wellrecords site to see the shallow wells. Type in 2506N04W to see the horizontal wells. The surface location is in 25. You should have production from the Whetstone 0604 1-25-36-WXH. Contact Casillas Division Order Division to get into pay status.

You might also look up unclaimed funds at the Oklahoma State Treasurer’s office.

There are 2 or 4 new wells completed as of sept. 29 2023. The sections/townships consist of 36-6n-4w, 25-6n-4w, and 1-5n-4w. They are whetstone 3wxh and 4wxh. I know this because i am in section 25-06n-04w and have been collecting from Casillas from the original Whetstone. It will not show yet on the occ imaging. If you sign up on Enverus or Mineral Iq you will see the completion of these. I get a ton of paperwork from Helms. I also talk to Cassie at Casillas. I wish someone on this site that pays like on drilllinginfo.com could look up the production. Otherwise it takes months before that form to show up on the occ imaging page.

Hope your new wells in 25 & 36 are better than the Nunn #2 well in Section 26 & 35 to your west. It is only doing 150 bo & 115 mcf/day.

Oh wow that is low for a new well. I hope so it took them over a year to complete these. Thanks

The newest Whetstone wells are showing up as active on the OK Tax site.

The production data will start showing up about four months after the active date which was in October 2023. Generally, the royalties will be on checks about six months after first production.

Drilling info is not showing production values yet, but it should soon.

5 years ago I should have sold 65 acres in the area for 7-9k an acre but I held on to it for some dumb reason. Why everyone on this board should be very cautious when listening to the never sell posts like its the gospel, when the price is right, its hard to make that money back no matter how good the wells are and if 1 bad well is drilled, well then youre really up shit creek without a paddle and kickin yourself like I am.

Thanks Martha on the info from drilling info. I hadn’t looked at the site for a couple of weeks. Anyhow my hope is that these new wells will be more profitable than the original Whetstone. Since these two new wells have 6 each meaning 2 in each section. Maybe that’s why it took over 2 years to complete, plus or minus a few months from the original permit date going back to 2021. To my knowledge the increased density does nothing for me. Although I have that clause as you had instructed me. Whatever…

Back in the 70s there was a family that sold their entire trust holding thousands of acres of mineral rights for $500 per acre. Now they are kicking themselves. Since my family owns some of the same minerals, we can truthfully say they should have kept their minerals and we tried to get them to do so back then. Does any mineral owner have a crystal ball? No. And has all the oil and gas been captured, No, not even 20%. Never sell your soul or your minerals is the best advice you will ever get.

Because you don’t have a crystal ball you don’t know whether selling minerals is the right thing or not. I own some I will sell you for cheap!

I believe I gave an historical example of selling minerals without knowing the future. The family I gave as an example didn’t have a crystal ball and sold all their minerals rights for nothing, then low and behold the future arrived and they are kicking themselves for selling. Never have I seen anyone sell their minerals for what they are worth, but if you can do it go right ahead. However, we have a saying in the financial industry that may help you and that is, Buy Low and Sell High.

They are kicking themselves for not investing the proceeds. From a historical perspective, the S&P 500 was around $85 in the mid-70’s. Today, $4,700.

This is one reason that time machines are so expensive! :grin:

As a note on selling or holding on to mineral rights… The mineral rights that I and my 2 Brothers now own through inheritance finally paid off last year. The mineral rights distributed out to all the heirs was from 1999. Over the years the rights were leased and that provided a minimal income over the years with an always increasing lease price per acre. By the time a company drilled for and discovered oil and gas all my other relatives had sold their share of acres. Mathematically, after 2 years , my relatives would be past the break even point (using the amount they sold at) and would be going into 2024 looking at a profit. I have had offers sent to me to buy out my rights , but I never respond or when called just state I really don’t need the money and can accept getting “something” each month rather than a lump sum. Infact , one of my Brothers keeps talking like he’d sell and me and my other Brother have told him that we’d match any offer he might get…to us it’s more of the fact that these mineral rights are a part of our Family and keeping them , in the Family, means more to us then a couple of bucks ! Everyone’s situation will be different.

1 Like

I agree that the proceeds should be wisely invested, and time machines are not that far from being a reality. I have operated my business without buying or selling minerals.

My post/point was directed towards modern day drilling, not the 1970’s. The boom in private equity groups that started popping up around 2010-2021 that were making $8-50K an acre offers, 97% of them are out of business now for a reason. No matter how good the rock is, it simply cant return the money that most of these groups were paying. Just curious, since your family acquired 1000’s of those same acres, whats the highest offer you received?

You followed up your post with “we have a saying in the financial industry that may help you and that is, Buy Low and Sell High”. Like I said in my original post, 5 years ago I could have sold acreage in the area for 7-9K an acre, now Id be lucky to get $1500 an acre for the same property. As the financial guru that you are, Id think you would agree the prudent decision would have been to sell the minerals despite your advice to never sell your soul or your minerals?

1 Like

One thing people forget is that oil and gas as we once knew it are not the only things known to exist in the earth. We could take a few years to list and discuss all the rare earth elements, minerals, noble gases, hydrocarbons and metals under the ground we walk on and then folks would never sell their mineral rights unless they were desperate or simply didn’t care about their next generations. It’s a crying shame what happened during the depression and even as recently as the 90s when people thought their little pools of hydrocarbons had been totally depleted and sold their mineral rights for nothing. This is a new age with computers that can master alchemy so that a ground formation may hold something worth far more than oil and gas and someone will need to lease your minerals in order to capture it.

My family has had our mineral rights since the late 1800s and have seen almost every situation imaginable but never entertained offers to sell. Modern day drilling is not going to be modern in 20 to 30 years and your minerals could be worth double your highest offer by then. I’m sure every generation of my family has had to face the question of whether they should sell or not. I’m sure glad they didn’t.

Given that every car in the world will be electric in 20-30 years due to mandates, will the demand for oil be the same? Sounds like your family has a large spread, what % of the property has had horizontal wells drilled on it in the last 15 years? Im 77 and was lucky enough to inherit 1200ish acres thats been in my family since 1910ish. 80% of it has had a horizontal drilled on it, 1/2 has been dog crap, 1/4 of it has been ok and 1/4 of it has been great, but the decline in production on all of it has been somewhat shocking from what I thought the numbers would be 10 years ago. Id sell all of it in 2014ish if I had a time machine, but to each their own.