Math, Fractions & Decimals. Is this correct?

I recently inherited royalties in Midland County, Texas. I found the deed from 1951, and did the math from the deed. Please, if someone would check my calculations, I would be grateful.

The deed says undivided interest to “2/10 of 2/3 of 10/663.6ths of Section 34” i figured 8.848 royalty acres is that right?

Thank you for helping this math-challenged newbie.

CWalsh,

Please take a closer look at your post. You have a decimal in the denominator: “10/663.6ths” which cannot be correct. What number were you trying to type? Also, I’m assuming you are crediting 640 acres to Section 34, but that might not be correct if there is a creek bed running along one edge, etc.

I tried 2/10 x 2/3 x 10/663 x 640 acres and got 1.287078934 net acres. “Royalty acres” is an entirely different type of calculation, one that shouldn’t be applied here. You want to know net acres, then those net acres times the royalty rate in the lease give you a production royalty share decimal.

Please post the string of fractions and numbers you used to get the 8.848 acres, and I think I can help you.

Marsha Breazeale

Dear Marsha,

Thank you for your response! I copied the exact wording from the first legal description on the deed. I didn’t do the last part of your calculation, the x 640 acres, so that is how I got the wrong number.

I tried uploading a picture of the deed. Hope it works!

Catherine

Hopefully someone will correct me if I’m wrong, but I interpret the description in your deed to say you acquired 3/10’s of 2/3rds of 10 acres out of each of the 5 sections listed there (four in Midland County and one in Upton County). If that is correct you would have approximately 2 net mineral acres in each of those sections, or a total of 10 NMA.

For example, in the first line of the description applying to Section 34, when it shows 10/663.6ths I believe it is referring to 10 acres out of the total of 663.6 acres that make up that Section 34. The Texas General Land Office records show that same total acreage amount for Section 34, and the total acreage amounts also match for each of the other sections listed in your deed except for Section 26, which your deed shows as 663.7ths and GLO records shows as 640 acres.

In any case, I think your deed conveyed a fractional interest in 10 acres out of each of those sections, and I’m assuming it is an undivided 10 acre interest rather than being an interest in a specific 10 acre portion of those sections since no further description of it is shown in the deed.

If you want to check the acreage shown for those sections in the GLO records the survey abstract numbers are: Sec. 34 A-1175, Sec. 26 A-1128, Sec. 48 A-1305, Sec. 38 A-1067 and Sec. 38 (Upton Co.) A-1332.

Dear Dusty,

If you are right, that would be good news! All of the offers to purchase I get seem to think I have 1+ acres. I am not interested in selling, but I am interested in getting paid correctly.

Thank you

Do you know if the offers you’ve gotten were supposed to be based on the mineral interest you own in all five sections that are described in that deed or just one of those sections? You might try pinning the company making the offer down on that point even if you aren’t interested in selling.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.