Maps showing producing, permitted, inactive, and confidential oil wells

Today I discovered an interesting website showing a map with producing, permitted, inactive, and confidential oil wells. Apparently, the site was established by a young Stanford grad. Don't know much more about it, accuracy, thoroughness, up to dateness, or where the data is obtained. Anyone known any more?

May enter land description and it shows on map. For example section-township-range.

http://www.eser.org/10-34n-47e-daniels-county-montana

TheViking

here is a good one as well.......... for montana. Just click on the map where you want..........

http://www.bogc.dnrc.mt.gov:4899/website/mtcbm/viewer.htm

It might show a "error message" at first but it usually loads anyway........

BTW: does anyone have a good link to a map viewer for South Dakota???

Thanks B Volney for the link to the bogc website. Once I figured out how to use the functions it was very informative. The "selection" function that looks like a rectangle, selects and shows wells at the bottom of the page, data shown in attached file. Clicking on the number on the left causes the well to light up on the map in red. Clicking on "Show All Production" opens a window with production data. On the map, the round black dot indicates a well with oil, an open circle/star a dry well, a black dot/star a well that may have had some oil but not a producer.

It seems like most if not all the wells around Daniels County were drilled a while ago, not using the horizontal drilling approach. About half the wells produced some oil but not much. However, with what is known about the thinness of the shale oil deposit with a vertical well, little production would be expected. It seems oil at all in a vertical well is encouraging. Also most of the wells are depths around 6,000 ft. Most of the Bakken is more like 2 miles.

2818-DanielsCountydrillingactivity.xls (26 KB)

You are welcome... I like you took a lot of figguring before I was able to negotiate the site. well worth it tho... Happy Trails...

I recently recieved a offer by Shale for T37N-R43E-sec 13 W1/2

using the map I found four wells ( all Dry)

3.29 miles away TD 8920 37-43 21

10.3 miles away TD 9114 37-45 22

6.21 miles away TD 8819 36-44 18

7.36 miles away TD6985 36-43 8

I am wondering why shale exploration would want to lease in my area. But I believe these dry holes are vertical..................... Hmmm Horizontal future maby???

Do you know the names on the wells?

My grandfather was Carl Miller and his name should be on one of them.

Do you know the township and range?? Those four didnt have miller on them...

Big Daddy said:

Do you know the names on the wells?

My grandfather was Carl Miller and his name should be on one of them.

All I can say is if I remember correctly it is twnsp 37

Big Daddy, the township by itself represents a range from the west R34W to the east R58E this would be 92 ranges to search in........ a range number with the township number would be helpful, as of this time I havent figgured out how to, or even if there is a search feature to look up a possible well name other than clicking on each well represented by a dot on the map........ Brian...

Big Daddy said:

All I can say is if I remember correctly it is twnsp 37

The range is 48e if that helps. I did find the map on eser.org and it show his name.

yep, I see it now, looks to be T37N-R48E Sec 10 NW1/4,SE1/4 Signal Drilling & Expl co inc. MILLER1 Dry Hole a wildcat TD 9338 feet......

Big Daddy said:

The range is 48e if that helps. I did find the map on eser.org and it show his name.

I'm not sure what dry hole means, I do know he had a producing well or 2. Maybe they pumped it until it was dry.

How deep is Bakken?

well a "dry hole" means just that, no oil, no production...... as far as the bakken, it could be 12 feet thick, 9000 feet down, you could drill 8990 feet down and miss it by 10 feet, so what they do is drill down and then directional drill "horizontal drilling" angeled so it penetrates several fingers of the formations, they frack it "expanding the strata,and suck the oil out and pay you money........ well all of the above is "kinda sorta"... I do not know if the Miller 1 is your relations, but there is a well 6.81 miles away TD (total depth) of 6498 and in 10/31/93 it produced 1406 but by jan 31 94 it was down to 563.......in nov 94 it produced 43 oil/22 gas/ and a whopping 1529 water...... from dec 94 to june 95 no production I guess you can call that one a dry hole, or they just closed it down for lack of interest. I hope all this meandering on a friday night kinda sorta answered some of your question Brian...

Interesting, we are again in the process of re-leasing this property.

Thanks for looking this information up, was it the eser.org site or another? eser is very difficult to get around in, at least for me.

This is the one I use.......

http://www.bogc.dnrc.mt.gov:4899/website/mtcbm/viewer.htm

let it load up, then up on top line you will see a magnifying icon with a plus in it, Click on it and then click on the yellow map roughly where you are interested in, then do it again to narrow it down, after awhile you will see townships and ranges, now then on the left side of the screen you will see LAYERS, select what interests you ie:wells and refresh the map, now then when you have visible dots for wells on the map, up on top again click on the icon of the black dot with the i in the middle, then click on any dot on the map to display information about it..... lots of features, ya just gotta play with it..... good luck