Loving County, TX - Oil & Gas Discussion archives

As an old, "mostly" retired, exploration geologist, I can say that Rock Man pretty much hit the nail on the head. Even in conventional reservoirs, a fault with vertical displacement frequently does not form a trap. Plus, some types of faults don't create vertical displacement at all, the rocks slip "sideways".

We have minerals under four sections in Blk. 76 PSL in Loving Co., which we worked out a development plan with and leased to EOG. Just prior to drilling the first two (horizontal) wells in the Wolfcamp Shale, they shot some tight, localized seismic which identified a disruptive fault. As a result, they had to move the location for one of the wells, just as Rock Man suggested can happen.

I agree with you guys about the sidewise as well as vertical displacement.

The anticlines under the Delaware run mostly east to west and look like

barbell....with half spheres at each end.....made by stretching a dome

formation in one or two dimensions as an earthquake fault does. But these anticlines are multiple layers stacked on top of each other.

I integrated well logs into the Triple I computer for Globe Exploration

Universal in Midland the summer I graduated HS. They were building

a subsurface stratigraphic 3D model for the Government for this

area. The data was not sophisticated enough then to delineate the

stacked shale plays in a contiguous manner across the area around

the Pecos River in Loving county, then. I was on Sharp Rig 66 (diesel/electric replacement for old Rig 66 that burned down in northeast

Brookfield) and we punched holes 27,000 to 29,000 feet depth in that area of the Haley and Wheat ranches back in the early to mid 70s. The well logs were very interesting. Electro-porosity and gamma ray/neutron logs revealed structures never seen before.

Anyway, what they are calling 'unconventional shales' now were being

revealed but we didn't really know how to interpret the data then.

BTW, it is estimated the Pecos rift extends down in some places to near Source Rock from which all hydrocarbons flow through fissures to the

trap strata. Some old leases that were drilled and produced here in the early 30s played out....but they have found upon reentering them 80 years later, some of them have RECHARGED....seeming to validate the Source Rock theory proposed by the Russians.

near Verhalen

Interesting, Lawrence!

Best, Ken

Oasis Petroleum in $946 million deal for Delaware Basin land. "Oasis Petroleum has agreed to buy thousands of acres for nearly $1 billion in the coveted Delaware Basin in a cash and stock deal. The Houston oil producer said it would snap up 20,300 net acres in the West Texas oil patch from San Antonio explorer Forge Energy. The $946 million deal, expected to close in February, includes $483 million in cash and 46 million shares. Those acres in Loving, Ward, Winkler and Reeves counties pumped 3,500 barrels of oil equivalent a day in November." More at Chron.com.

Forge energy took over many of the leases on the Haleys and Mitchell, and Gills ranches.

Can anyone explain why my Anadarko statements show only gas and no oil revenue? I looked back as far as 2013 statements. In September 2017 was the first oil revenue on a well I don't think I ever saw a division order for - Block 28, Sec 16 - that's doing well. Other Anadarko leases I have are on Block 28, Sec 9 &15 and Blk 29, sec 12 & 13.

Susan, did the gas revenue have $ per MCF values in the range of "normal gas"? Or were the prices paid higher? If higher prices, the liquids may be blended into the gas stream instead of being broken out separately. This is normally done with NGL's.

Susan Van Siclen -

Attached is what I could find regarding who is buying what from your wells. It appears that you are not in a very productive area for oil.

You could contact the Oil Gatherer's listed in the Price Data information for the wells and see what they have to say. I believe Eastex is buying the oil from most of them.

42-301-30559%20GILLS%208%20NO.%201.pdf

42-301-31196%20GILLS%2012%20NO.%201.pdf

42-301-31285%20GILLS%2015%20NO.%201.pdf

42-301-31290%20GILLS%2013%20NO.%202.pdf

42-301-31383%20HALEY%2028-27%20NO.%201.pdf

42-301-31455%20GILLS%209%20NO.%202.pdf

42-301-31466%20LEILA%20CHRISTY%20ESTATE%2016%20NO.%201.pdf

42-301-31503%20GILLS%2012%20NO.%202.pdf

42-301-31516%20GILLS%208%20NO.%202.pdf

SUSAN%20VAN%20SICLEN%20INTERESTS.pdf

Thank you Charles. Is that info available on a free app? The new well that's producing oil in Blk 28, Sec 16 is the Leila Christy 28-16 2H. Would this be an indication that perhaps there is oil to be had but just not profitable enough to tap until now? Might that also be the case with the other properties?

The information presented in the first page, the Well Summary, is general information available though the Texas Railroad Commission's website (RRC). You can find PRODUCTION information there, too.

The Price Data information is based upon SALES of oil and gas reported to the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts, which is what your royalties are based upon, not production.

l have tried requesting information regarding sales from the Comptroller's Office myself without success. Nobody there seemed to understand what I wanted.

The information I sent I obtained through an online subscription service called DrillingInfo. That's the same website I used to locate the list of wells you either currently receive royalties from or have in the recent past.

There may be oil and / or condensate in other formations (there is a lot going on between the surface and the center of the earth), but the ones being produced now appear to be primarily gas wells.

I would have to check and see what formation the Leila Christy is producing from compared to the others. It could be a different formation, it could be that it was drilled further into an "oil" area, geologically.

Typically, if they can strike oil rather than gas that's what they aim for.

Attached should be three files from DrillingInfo.com site that show graphs of production (on log scale) for some of the Gills wells. Several months with no reported oil production - probably do to such a small of liquid production during those months and no oil moved off location from storage tanks. As noted by others, these are liquid poor wells that don't make a lot of oil

Gills%2012.pdf

Gills%2013.pdf

Gills%2012%20_2.pdf

Would those gas production volumes be considered very good? The offers I've received are pretty high - is there something I don't know about?

I'll have to take another look at the production numbers. What I was focused on before was whether you had any liquids or not.

And I would have to check where your properties are located more carefully, but I have been told that certain areas of Loving County are VERY productive.

I am just a Landman, 'tho. Maybe some of the more knowledgeable contributors can pitch in here?

Of the three wells on which I posted production info, I would call one a good well and the other two as marginal wells.

As Charles has noted, there are some very good areas in Loving Co as to production potential - multiple benches for horizontal drilling. But prospectivity is based on the subsurface geology - and this can vary significantly over some relatively short distances.

On a quick look, these Gills wells are vertical completions in the deep Morrow section (below 16,000;). Attached PDF shows Gills wells (red dots), Note the lateral well "sticks" surrounding the area - horizontal drilling (probably at shallower formations) is taking place in this area (probably in Wolfcamp and / or Bone Spring intervals)

Gills%20Maps.pdf

Makes sense Rock Man...the only horizontal well I have in Loving Co - blk 28, sec 16 - is producing oil while an older gas well on the same section is petering out. That oil well came on line last September. Any indication that there maybe new permits in the area? Many thanks to you and Charles!

Rock Man always provides such useful data and other information. We've got minerals in Sec. 25, 26, 35 & 36, Blk. 76 PSL. There are old plugged out Lower Pennsylvanian (Morrow and Atoka completions) gas wells on and adjacent to the acreage. There is also one old vertical Bone Spring well still trickling on the acreage as well, just maintained to hold a part of the acreage by production. However, the hot play in this area is in the Wolfcamp.

The first two horizontal Wolfcamp wells went on line in August of 2017. They were barn burners. Peak production for the first well was over 2800 bopd and 6,000 mcfgd. Four more Wolfcamp wells are undergoing completion right now and scheduled to reach flow back and first production before the end of February.

Susan, you might want to check out the horizontal wells closest to your acreage, see what they are producing out of and how they have performed. It may be that the high offers you are getting haven't much to do with the gas wells, but because the acreage is highly prospective for either the Wolfcamp, the Bone Spring or both, as Rock Man suggested.

Good luck!!!

Re: Permits

Attached are two PDF's from DrillingInfo.com site. Map shows horizontals permits for this area for past year. Each blue dot with number (API number) is surface location of permit. There are over 70 permits included in map area (some spots contain more than one well). The PDF list shows these permits in operator aphabetical order, Anadarko, RSP Permian, Felix and RIKI are active here (among others).

Note on the list some wells are listed twice (same API) - this is due to some wells being repermitted for various reasons. I did not sort out the repermitted wells.

Note that you can access new permits as well as completions on the Tx RRC site. Definitely not as easy to use as subscription sites like DrillingInfo, but "free" is a good thing.

Permits%20past%20year%20Loving%20Co%20Gills%20Area.pdf

Permits%20past%20year%20Loving%20Co%20Gills%20Area%20List.pdf

Sendero opens gas plant in Loving, plans to expand in Permian Basin

http://www.currentargus.com/story/news/local/2018/03/02/sendero-opens-gas-plant-loving-plans-expand-permian-basin/386454002/

New capacity in Reeves and Loving

Need help figuring out my interest in block 76 section 25,26,35,36 in loving TX county. Deed from 1981 my grandpa bought 10/2560th. I have no idea what the current contract royalty rate is but the original lease which I think is still current due to a madera well that has flow a little since 96 is 1/6th.

Dan - there are a couple of us on this forum with interests in those same sections, including me. It all depends on what has transpired since 1981 with the minerals your grandpa bought. For instance, were the minerals left to multiple children, grandchildren, etc.? Were some sold off? There are a lot of things that could affect what you own today. It sounds like your grandpa bought 10 net mineral acres at that time, though.