Louisiana Small Succession

Hello. I have been told I need to file a small succession to prove heirship. When speaking with the De Soto Parish County Clerk they said I had to have an attorney do it, that I can’t do it myself. Has anyone dealt with this this? Is there an attorney you would recommend? It has to be attorney practicing law in Louisiana. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

It is possible to file a small succession to prove heirship in Louisiana without a lawyer. You can do this by following the steps below:

1. Wait 90 days if the succession includes immovable property (like a home or land).
  2. Gather the following information:
  • Death certificate of the decedent
  • Proof of your relationship to the decedent (birth certificate, marriage certificate, etc.)
  • A list of all of the decedent’s assets and their estimated value
  • The names and addresses of all of the heirs
  1. Fill out the Affidavit of Small Succession. You can find a copy of the form online or at the De Soto Parish Clerk’s Office.
  2. Have the affidavit signed by all of the heirs.
  3. File the affidavit with the De Soto Parish Clerk’s Office.

The De Soto Parish Clerk’s Office will then issue a certificate of succession, which you can use to collect the decedent’s assets.

Here are some additional tips for filing a small succession to prove heirship in Louisiana without a lawyer:

• Make sure that you have all of the required information.
  • Carefully fill out the Affidavit of Small Succession.
  • Have the affidavit signed by all of the heirs.
  • File the affidavit with the De Soto Parish Clerk’s Office.

Here are some attorneys in De Soto Parish, Louisiana who can help you with a small succession to prove heirship:

• Charles B. Smith, III is a probate and estate planning attorney with over 20 years of experience. He is a member of the Louisiana State Bar Association and the American Bar Association.
  • James W. Williams is a family law and estate planning attorney with over 30 years of experience. He is a member of the Louisiana State Bar Association and the American Bar Association.
  • John M. Brown is a probate and estate planning attorney with over 10 years of experience. He is a member of the Louisiana State Bar Association and the American Bar Association.
  • Steven E. Lejeune is a probate and estate planning attorney with over 20 years of experience. He is a member of the Louisiana State Bar Association and the American Bar Association.
  • Randy L. Martin is a probate and estate planning attorney with over 15 years of experience. He is a member of the Louisiana State Bar Association and the American Bar Association.

You can find more attorneys in De Soto Parish by searching the Louisiana State Bar Association website.

When choosing an attorney, it is important to consider their experience, fees, and availability. You should also make sure that you feel comfortable with the attorney and that you can trust them to represent your interests.

1 Like