Lost Sections due to typo in name filed years ago question

Hello All, This is in New Mexico, Lea County, T17S-R32E N.M.P.M. Sections 1 and 2 I have been jumping through hoops to find a reason these sections disappeared in 1985 that were inherited in 2016 via a trust. Conveyance documents from the Trust in 2016 filed with the clerks office say it existed. No sales of this anywhere?
Until now, I had found nothing. It just disappeared in 1985. POOF!! I have paid two land men that found the exact same thing, nothing after 1985 until mentioned again in 2016 trust conveyance. In 1985 is when it was moved from my grandmother to my mother. All mineral chain stops at that point in time. Finally, in the past month, I have found where the name was entered wrong via a typo in the documents that the Clerks office recorded in 1985. What was submitted is fine, but the Clerk documents that followed were wrong. The last name was changed by that typo by two alphabetic letters in the last name. Where do I start? Is there any way to remedy this and get this corrected and maybe begin pay status on existing wells or at least be open to lease. This all assumes that we still own this since no one seemed to know who this person was because of the typo and that person did not exist? If nothing else maybe I need a lawyer in New Mexico or is this a problem to be resolved with the trust department of said large Bank?

Thanks for any advance advice. MK

Visit with a NM attorney, this may be as simple as filing a affidavit outlining the error with materials supporting the assertion. Or, this may involve a quiet title action.

As always check unclaimed property.

This post is not legal, tax or investment advice. Reading or responding to this post does not create an attorney/client relationship.

1 Like

Thank you Richard. MK

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.