Lost Oil & Gas Royalty Payment Check

My wife and I own several instances of Oklahoma oil and gas mineral rights for which we receive relatively regular royalty payments. Recently the United States Postal Service lost a mailed royalty check that normally arrived around the 26th of July from Citation Oil and Gas Corp (Houston, TX) to our family trust for a well in Murray County, Oklahoma. I knew the check had been lost because the USPS Informed Delivery showed the Citation envelope on July 25th but it was never delivered. I worked with the local USPS station for about a week and they finally admitted it had been lost and suggested I contact Citation.

Following the instructions on the Citation website, I have called and left messages on their owner relations telephone multiple times. In addition, I have emailed their owner relations address multiple times. I have even called the Oklahoma City office of Citation and was given an additional telephone number, which I have called multiple times.

I have never received any return communication acknowledging the lost royalty payment. Ironically, the United States Postal Service found the originally lost royalty payment almost a month late and delivered it. I thought the problem had been solved but was shocked when Citation declined payment of the deposited check. I called them twice since then but without any reply whatsoever.

Does anyone have any suggestions that might help me resolve this situation?

Allen Coleman Carlsbad, CA

Patience is a virtue. You notified them the check was lost. Then you tried to deposit that “lost” check. Don’t blame them for listening to you. Most likely your next check will include the “lost” checks revenue. If not this month then September’s check run.

I am currently experiencing the same problem contacting Citation. I have never dealt with a company that simply ignores phone calls and emails.

Hi Claire: The tried and true method to reach them is the old fashioned way- Certified Letter with return receipt.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.