Lost mineral rights ND

My family inherited mineral rights in North Dakota. My uncle, one the original 6 children inheriting died in1989 (prior to any drilling) as a ward of the state in CA with no heirs and no will. Rights remain out there in the ether somewhere. Is there some way to reclaim them?

A title search needs to be done regarding which family member first acquired such rights and then determine then determine to whom such miners passed when an owner died. You may need to hire a land man.

Dormant North Dakota mineral rights can revert back to the surface owner is they are not claimed every 20 years. You will need to get the title work done and if the surface owner has not claimed them, then claim them under the new name.

1 Like

Iā€™m still working on the restablishment of these rights but I wanted to thank M_Barnes. In reading posts on this forum Barnes is sooo helpful to everyone posting questions. What a wonderful and helpful person to have responding to so many posts. Thank you M_Barnes, You are a treasure!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.